Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 14.12.2014, 02:18 PM
This forum member lives here

Dune 2 just got a major (and free) update to v2.2.

This plugin remains one of my staple synths. A few patches from the new update here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trZuB9MvhQk
Old 05.05.2015, 05:38 AM
Am starting to like this forum

I purchased Dune 2 a couple weeks ago. Really amazing synth from what I've discovered so far. Blends really well with Virus sounds, and dare I say, does some things better. Looking forward to diving in further!
Old 05.05.2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I purchased Dune 2 a couple weeks ago. Really amazing synth from what I've discovered so far. Blends really well with Virus sounds, and dare I say, does some things better. Looking forward to diving in further!
Yes, it does some things that none of my other synths including the Virus can match. If they made a dedicated hardware version with plugin integration of Dune2 I'd be one of the first to sign up (assuming the integration worked well).
Old 05.05.2015, 06:17 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Yes, it does some things that none of my other synths including the Virus can match. If they made a dedicated hardware version with plugin integration of Dune2 I'd be one of the first to sign up (assuming the integration worked well).
Even still... The CPU isn't THAT bad unless you are using crazy polyphony. Hardware versions of anything are always gonna be cooler though, you are right.
Old 05.05.2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Even still... The CPU isn't THAT bad unless you are using crazy polyphony. Hardware versions of anything are always gonna be cooler though, you are right.
Oh don't get me wrong. The sound of Dune2 is well worth it. It is a next-gen soft-synth, so higher CPU usage than older synths is to be expected.

Depending on the types of sounds you are after, you can make Dune2 very efficient, and it's unison algorithms produce some of the fattest/warmest harmonics of any of my synths. But, sometimes it sounds so good that it makes you want to add a little here, a little there, and before you know it you've got a multi-timbral sound that's eating 20-25% of your CPU.
Old 11.04.2016, 01:34 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

I was very excited by Dune2 and bought it the first week it was available. But after a couple years I have to say that I don't use it much. It has very well thought GUI and lots of cool features, but i'm not thrilled with the sound. Not that it sounds bad (it doesn't) but it is a bit characterless. Dune2 is good for big ambient soudnscapes, but when you need a lead or a bass to stand out in the mix other synths do it better.

Before getting a Virus I used to think that Dune2 is modelled after it and is the closest thing to it in the software realm but it actually isn't.
Old 11.04.2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursion loop View Post
I was very excited by Dune2 and bought it the first week it was available. But after a couple years I have to say that I don't use it much. It has very well thought GUI and lots of cool features, but i'm not thrilled with the sound. Not that it sounds bad (it doesn't) but it is a bit characterless. Dune2 is good for big ambient soudnscapes, but when you need a lead or a bass to stand out in the mix other synths do it better.

Before getting a Virus I used to think that Dune2 is modelled after it and is the closest thing to it in the software realm but it actually isn't.
I've seen synths claim to be modeled after the Virus, but none of them really are. Synth emulation is pretty much an all or none thing, you try to match the signal output perfectly with a oscilloscope throughout each range of parameters or you don't -- once you deviate even slightly, even if the deviation is adding more features or range, saying it's modelled after something else becomes a mere marketing pitch at best. I've never seen Dune2 claim to be modeled after the Virus, but I would say there are some similarities.

How well a lead or bass stands out in a mix really depends on too many factors (mostly EQing and what is going on in the other mix) to conclusively say one does it better than the other. I personally find the Virus weak at bass, but it can make good bass sounds (it's just that the definition of good bass varies among individuals).

I find Dunes strong point to be its workflow. It's not that other synths can't sound just as good, it is the ease of sound design that I like about it. If I want to try to recreate a specific sound, starting from an init patch, Dune2 is my go to tool because it gets me there faster. Others mileage may vary.

Overall I don't think my Snow can push the total level of richness at the same polyphony level as Dune2, but then again Dune2's filters don't sound quite as sharp as the Snow. They each have their strong points.
Old 11.04.2016, 04:20 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

I find Spire VSTi to sound really close to Virus at certain types of patches, such as hypersaws, VA sounds, sounds with heavy amount of distortion or phaser. It's not an emulation but it is really hard to tell in the mix which one was used.

I agree that Dune's workflow is really well thought. But the sound is not quite my thing. Probably if they added global saturation, like Virus "character/analog boost" it would be easier for me to squeeze the sounds I like out of it.

But honestly, after getting a Virus I don't fire up my softsynths too often.
Old 07.12.2016, 02:54 PM

Dune 2 still remains one of my favorite all-time synths, and has remained in the list of top ranked plugins on KVR pretty much since it was released. If anyone ever wanted it but didn't like the price, it is currently 40% off on Synapse Audio's website. To the best of my knowledge they have not sent out mail about this promotion.