Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 08.02.2017, 07:22 AM
New here
New here

Default Anybody with issues re potentiometers/knobs/encoders?

Hi all, new here…

I just bought a Virus B desktop off eBay – very excited about this (had a C some 10 years ago which I unfortunately had to sell and have regretted ever since…!)

However I have some issues with one of the knobs (definable 2) – when turning, the data values don’t change, then jump from around zero to around 40, then I keep turning and it jumps to around 70.

Also I’ve noted that many of the others have a ‘dead space’ at the ‘edges’, e.g. when the know is turned all the way left, when turning it right it moves about 20-25 degrees before the data values start to change – is this normal or a sign that other encoders are about to go too?

I wrote to Access asking about replacement potentiometers and got the reply below.
Thank you for your email. We do not have an authorized service center in the UK, so we couldn't tell you a recommended repair service in London. Spare parts for the Virus b series are comparably rare these days, but you can get in touch with our main service center in Germany (they are doing all Europe-wide repairs there) and see if they still have some potentiometers left for the Virus b series:

http://www.synthesizerservice.de/ser...rvice-repairs/

I will write to them and report back.

In the meantime, have others had similar issues with their encoders? I thought (hoped) that the potentiometers were the same for all the Virus machines – but can anybody confirm? (have searched the forum but couldn’t find the answers)

Thanks 
Old 12.06.2017, 02:48 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hi Decdog, did you ever manage to fix this?

The only problems I've had with my Indigo (Virus B) potentiometers were that they started to wobble and feel loose in my hand, but this didn't affect any values selected.

You could try factory-resetting the Virus or reloading the latest OS in case it's a software bug. But jumping values could suggest a dirty pot. You could perhaps try using isopropyl alcohol (cheap) or Deoxit (more expensive) to lubricate the contacts, but if you feel up to it I would consider replacing the pot entirely given its age. [Virus Re-Potting].
Old 15.06.2017, 10:00 AM
New here
New here

Hi Timo,

Thanks for following up - I was in touch with Synthersizerservice, but they went quiet after initially responding to say they would send me a new encoder. Also didn't confirm/deny whether the potentiometers for all Virus models are the same (but I would guess they are).

Had a baby in the meantime, so haven't chased them, but have been getting into working with the Virus without replacing the knob. At some point I will probably just replace it - the tutorials you and others have posted are invaluable here! you guys are true community leaders

There is a guy on ebay selling potentiometers, but at £3.50 each, so I'm still hoping somebody will come up with a mouser part number (I don't mind if knobs stick out slightly because of a long shaft!) that works - because I do feel a lot of mine will have to be replaced in a not-too-distant future.

One question actually - you said I could try those lubricating materials. How would I apply these? spray on them after just taking off the cap? or take the virus apart and then apply around the potentiometer?

Cheers!
Dan
Old 16.07.2017, 08:52 PM
New here
New here

Just to follow up for anyone who is interested.

I had a reply from www.synthesizerservice.de who confirmed that the potentiometers are the same for all virus models, except the rack mounted ones which has encoders.

They can provide these for euro 6,20 each + 8 euros shipping + 19% VAT... which is quite pricey and I'd be keen to hear if anybody has found a suitable alternative from e.g. Mouser?

There is also this guy on ebay who is selling them slightly cheaper:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Access-Vir...EAAOSwBLlVZ51n

Cheers