Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 26.01.2011, 03:16 AM
New here
New here

Default Getting sound from Init & Filter Route Question

I'm using a Virus B, and I'm trying to start my patches with a basic sound, so I selected Init and hit sync on Osc 2 so the sound would be a nice clean sine wave. Unfortunately, there was no sound. I looked up in the manual and saw information about the signal path through the filter routing. I decided to play with the routing options and here's what I came up with:

SER4 - no sound
SER6 - no sound
PAR4 - no sound
SPLIT - sound!

Looking in the diagram it shows that parallel and split both have the same routing. Can anyone explain how to get sound from these filter routes?

Also, in case there are any other issues along the way, is there a tutorial somewhere that takes you completely from Init to a working sound so I can get a better feel for the Virus? I've programmed other synths before, it's just that I don't have experience where there is no sound when selecting Init. Normally they give you a simple wave form sound on an Init patch.

Thanks for any help!
Old 26.01.2011, 11:33 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

In SER4 the filters are both in -12dB/Oct mode, connected in series, the amount of signal that goes through them is decided by filter balance.
In SER6 the filters are again serial, again the amount of signal passing through each is decided by filter balance, but in this case Filter 1 is in -24dB/Oct mode while Filter 2 is in -12dB/Oct mode.
In both of these modes saturation occurs after filter 1 and goes into filter 2.

In PAR4 mode the filters are both -12dB/oct, connected in parallel and the amount of signal is decided by filter balance. Saturation occurs after filter 1 only and the saturated signal (if any) is mixed with the output from filter 2.

In SPLIT mode the filters work as PAR4 but OSC1 and the SUB are hardwired to Filter 1 and OSC2 + Noise are hardwired to Filter 2. Saturation works like in PAR4 mode.

If you didn't get any sound, check the amount of filter balance to see which filter you're feeding and set up its cutoff frequency accordingly.

Also, I don't know about the B, but INIT patch on TI is made of 2 detuned saws, SER4, filter balance to the center with filters fully open.
You should read the manual more anyway.

There is a tutorial downloadable from the Virus main site, it's for Virus C but can be replicated with the B for the most part. There's also a diagram of the signal flow.
Old 26.01.2011, 08:46 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for the response, I have been using the Virus B manual as well as the "Programming Analog Synths" .pdf to learn how to use the virus. I am unsure of the tutorial you are referring to, is it the "Programming Analog Synths" one?

My cutoff settings are at max on both to allow the full frequency to pass, I've tried alternating the filter balance as you've mentioned but I get no sound. I will be deconstructing a preset to see if I can figure out where the setting is that I appear to be missing.

Again thanks, I understand that I should read the manual more and I am, believe me I know that most people are out for instant gratification...I am willing to do the work and learn this synth from the bottom up. If I figure anything out I'll post it here in case anyone else is having issues in the future.
Old 27.01.2011, 04:07 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

I'll tell you what happened : you synced one wave to the other, that was the wrong part. If you want a pure sine you must not sync OSC2 to OSC1, you must turn the OSC MIX all toward OSC1, and set OSC1 as a sine wave.

The analog waves in the Virus are not samples or single cycles (like spectral waves are) but truely DSP generated analog modelled sine waves.

So that´s about the purest you can go for a sine.