Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 25.03.2006, 05:15 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

8bit wavetable sounds rules!

may i ask how much you payed for it?
Old 25.03.2006, 01:30 PM
Pro
Pro

All I can say, it was a steal. I had been waiting for years to get one and at some point when I was about to buy a new one, they were discontinued. In fact I wasn't even planning to get one right now because I was trying to get money for a new Q or Q+ to buy from Thomann but I'm not sure can they even deliver the synths altought they're listed (they haven't answered my email yet). So I noticed that somebody is selling his XTk at a very good price so I contacted him and bought the synth.
Old 27.03.2006, 02:44 PM
Pro
Pro

I've left 4 nice bass patches for the XT on this site you may be interested in, they're quite usable:

www.soundlabz.com

It's the trumpet trousers collection
Old 09.04.2006, 02:51 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
And here's some scary shit which I just recorded. I played only one preset performance program and edited some parameters. Added some TC reverb and compressor.

clip
Hi. I just joined this board to say that clip was absolutely fantastic. Really brilliant. Thanks, I'm keeping this MP3 on my HD.
Old 29.04.2006, 06:51 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.e
anyone have a link to some waldorf synth sounds cause the ones on their site don't work.
better if not in real media format cause I don't feel like installing that
Here's a demo that I did with my Q+:

http://students.depaul.edu/~dshklyar...Synderesis.mp3

All sounds are my own. The drums are from a free VST called Drumatic 3. The tracks were left dry on purpose. I'll probably do a remix, with other synths and some external effects, when I get some free time.
Old 29.04.2006, 06:52 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
And here's some scary shit which I just recorded. I played only one preset performance program and edited some parameters. Added some TC reverb and compressor.

clip
Hi. I just joined this board to say that clip was absolutely fantastic. Really brilliant. Thanks, I'm keeping this MP3 on my HD.
Heya Sizzle! Ditto on the mp3 F5d! I loved your Andromeda demos too.
Old 30.04.2006, 02:29 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Array

All sounds are my own. The drums are from a free VST called Drumatic 3. The tracks were left dry on purpose. I'll probably do a remix, with other synths and some external effects, when I get some free time.
Nice to hear the Q+ too! Can you tell us a little bit more about the Q+? I would like to know how the OS is working for you and if you have found any annoying bugs? So does the synth work ok and you can use the analog filters without any problems? How about the os stability, does the synth crash or any boot up problems? I remember reading from somewhere that there was a bug that sometimes when you turn the power on, the effects go to wrong outputs when using analog fiters but a reboot helps. Also the noise generator type cannot be modulated yet? Anything else about the synth, please tell.
Old 30.04.2006, 06:38 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Array

Nice to hear the Q+ too! Can you tell us a little bit more about the Q+? I would like to know how the OS is working for you and if you have found any annoying bugs? So does the synth work ok and you can use the analog filters without any problems? How about the os stability, does the synth crash or any boot up problems? I remember reading from somewhere that there was a bug that sometimes when you turn the power on, the effects go to wrong outputs when using analog fiters but a reboot helps. Also the noise generator type cannot be modulated yet? Anything else about the synth, please tell.
When I first got the Q+, the OS that it shipped with was a little buggy. It would even crash sometimes, especially when I was experimenting with some of the more unorthodox FM routings. The last OS which was released by Waldorf, I think it was 3.54, is rock solid though. Havent had a crash since.

There is still one nagging bug though, and that is the "reorganizing flash" bug. Bascically, if you ever have to reorganize your flash memory, it deletes about 50 of your patches (from bank C50-C100). It's not a huge issue for me though, as I save all of my custom patches to my Q card.

Regarding the filters, they are as stable as discrete analog filters can be. They DO go out of tune from time to time (you can tell when the keytracking on your resonant filter patches sounds weird), and there is a utility to tune them in the "global" menu. Sometimes when you leave the Q+ on, it'll just tune them automatically (a "tuning filters....." text comes on). There are also utilities to control other aspects of the analog filter bank, and I've only had to use them once in the 2.5 years that I've had my Q+ (the analog drive on my filters was sounding weird, so I used one of the utilities and it cleared right up).

As far as the "noise" parameter...that was the beginning of the implementation of Q+ exclusive features. The Q has a white noise generator, but on the Q+ you can adjust between white and pink noise. The problem is, the company folded before they could implement a modulation destination to the "noise color" parameter. Hopefully this will be adressed in a future Q+ OS update, as Stefan Stenzel has indicated that there WILL be OS updates for legacy Waldorf products. He stated that these updates will have to be paid for, but hopefully bug fixes will be free.

All in all, the Q+ is a very solid synth though. I never find myself getting frustrated due to some shortcoming in the OS, unlike the XTk which has a couple of very serious bugs to be resolved (mono click bug, improper aftertouch messages, etc).
Old 30.04.2006, 11:44 PM
Pro
Pro

Thanks for the info about Q+ Array! Currently I don't have much more space for another keyboard but the Q+ sure is on my shopping list.

edit:

I just noticed that Waldorf website has changed. Check this link about the products: http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/products

It seems that these are the products which they will continue to sell. At least thomann is listing the Q+, Q keyboard and microQ. So maybe you cannot buy pulse, rack attack and microwave XT(k) anymore.

I hope they will introduce something like Pulse keyboard and maybe a new synth with lots of wavetables, improved analog modeling and analog filters. Something like Q+. A rack version would be nice too.

The price of the Q+ is not very high and I was just wondering if they sell it and the Q keyboard at these new prices to get things running fast that they can run the company before NAMM 2007 when the first new product(s) from new Waldorf will be introduced. Let's hope that the new pricing isn't too high.

On the other hand, the price of the A6 Andromeda isn't too high either and we all saw what happened to Hartmann so the price of a high end keyboard synthesizer cannot be much higher than 2000 euros. About the price of the Virus TI too.
Old 01.05.2006, 12:27 AM
Pro
Pro

btw, has anybody compared microQ and Q? Is the sound identical if you use the same filter types? And how about the polyphony of the Q keyboard... It seems to have 16 voices and I remember somebody saying that the polyphony won't get reduced what ever modulations you use. Is this right? Some say that the polyphony of the microQ can get reduced from 25 to 15 or even 10 if you use heavy modulations and fm.