Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 18.12.2004, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Insane story there Alex.

If someone did the same thing here they would have been arrested and possible have so serve atleast some community-service

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 18.12.2004, 09:37 AM

With audio, you need someone who knows audio/PC's to build your computer....

Not some dude in a computer store who owns FL....

Not some dude at DELL who owns an iPod.......

And definately dont think you can chose parts and build a computer for audio by yourself (unless of course you are an experienced audio/PC guy)

There are these guys out there, and they will build you a rock solid PC that will even maybe be as good as a Mac ( )

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 18.12.2004, 10:36 AM

That is a great story Alex (well in a horror sort of a way). I think I may have taken the passive-agressive route and static shocked a few of the machines before giving them back.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 18.12.2004, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
And definately dont think you can chose parts and build a computer for audio by yourself (unless of course you are an experienced audio/PC guy)
Nah. It's not a rocket science. Just keep in mind that cheap doesn't work. Using quality components there will be no problems. The most cruicial component is a motherboard (and it's usually 99% the one that causes compatibility issues). Getting a cheap Epox mobo will lead you intro trouble sooner or later, but getting one from a realiable manufacturer like Abit won't cause any issues.

I've compiled several PC's and each of them has worked well without any problems. In school few years back we had a computer course and part of that course was to compile four computers. So we did a little test: For one PC we bought the cheapest parts we could find, for two computers average parts and one PC with a bit better components. The two average PC's and the better one worked well and the only one with problems was the cheap piece of junk.

The one reason why I don't get brand computers is that there is always something that has been used to bring down the price. Cheap memory, crappy picky mainboard with everything integrated, etc. The brand computer works 100% when you take them out of package and plug them in, but the fun starts when you add components in those things. Somethimes there are no problems at all and sometimes you loose your mental health.

For audio stuff (or any other kind of work that needs special components) I'd really recommend custom PC. Hell with the guarantee. What do you do with the guarantee if the guarantee doesn't apply to the added components and their compatbility. When you get custom PC you get:

1. Exactly what you want with nothing useless extra.
2. 100% compatible system. No need to fear adding extra components.
3. Usually totally silent computer. Brand computers usually have average fans that can be annoyingly loud especially when recording with sensitive mics. For custom computer you can have totally silent cooling.
Old 18.12.2004, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
3o3 wrote:
REF: Alex's DELL incident...
"If someone did the same thing here they would have been arrested and possible have so serve atleast some community-service"
I was desperate and pissed off. They made me look like an ass in front of my client. I wish I would have thought of Hollow Cell's idea on top of it:

Quote:
Hollow Cell wrote:
I think I may have taken the passive-agressive route and static shocked a few of the machines before giving them back.
How funny would THAT have been?

Alex to Dell:
"Well, here are the 28 shitty PCs you sent me; now I want my new ones. Can't you guys make computers that even boot up? Come on! This is DELL, right?

Hollow Cell, I will be sure to consult you in the future for passive-aggressive retaliatory options that will allow me to irritate those that have wronged me while preserving my own time and blood pressure. I hope your rates are good, a lot of people have pissed me off this year with needless shite!

Cheers everyone!

I am off to try and figure out Multi-Mode again!

-AlexHall74
Old 18.12.2004, 03:08 PM
Administrator

http://www.carillondirect.com/clnweb...jsp?country=UK
Old 18.12.2004, 03:58 PM
Pro
Pro

I don't understand why they test cubase/nuendo with G5. Cubase/Nuendo is not even near as well optimized for G5 as the logic is.

I made a simple Cubase SX2 performance test earlier when I still used Cubase. My Athlon64 3200+ machine could run 25 of similar test tracks. My friend's G5 DP1.8 & SX2 could run 34 of those tracks without clicks and pops. So the mac result was 36% better than the pc result in cubase.

In logic 5.5.1 & 3200+ a64 I got 72 platinum verbs. My new g5 dp1.8 however can run twise the amount, 144 platinum verbs. So the mac can run 100% more plugins compared to the exactly same pc-machine which I ran the cubase-test with. See?

I know that apple uses some stupid comparisons between machines and some softwares as do all the other companies too but this carillon's test was a very stupid one because it doesn't give you any idea how powerful the G5 really is. It just tells you how fast a certain program can run.

I mean that it was not very wise of carillon to put a G5 to the same test with pc computers when running cubase as a test program, because it's all up to steinberg why it runs so slowly on mac. The results would have been upside down if they tested with logic audio (logic 5.5.1 @ pc & logic 6 or logic 7 @ mac).

In fact logic pro 7 flies @ DP1.8 G5. I can load a huge amount of plugins and the cpu meters don't even move very much. And I have also noticed that once the cpu bars have rised to a certain height they may stay at that position even I load many other plugins too. I can say that this is the first time I don't have to worry about overriding my computer's calculation power. I haven't reached the 50% cpu performance yet altough I have tried.

Also I wouldn't have even bought a mac if I wanted to run cubase. I just wanted to switch to logic because it offers so much more bang for the buck than cubase does.

I just had to say something cause I saw the carillon test setup.
Old 18.12.2004, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
I mean that it was not very wise of carillon to put a G5 to the same test with pc computers when running cubase as a test program, because it's all up to steinberg why it runs so slowly on mac. The results would have been upside down if they tested with logic audio (logic 5.5.1 @ pc & logic 6 or logic 7 @ mac).
So it's ok to run the test on a software that haven't been updated for PC well over a year? Hoho.

It's always difficult to compare Mac and PC due the huge software differences. If the comparisation had be done it should be done with 3rd party VSTi's. For example use Logic 7 on Mac and SX3 (which has 64-bit support by the way, yay!) on PC and then start stacking certain plugins, like Arturia Minimoog V2's with certain patch and then add plugins until the machine can't handle it anymore. The test could also be done on several different plugins, like Z3ta+, Absynth3, Kontakt, etc and then calculate the average. That would give 100% objective results.
Old 18.12.2004, 05:04 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
So it's ok to run the test on a software that haven't been updated for PC well over a year? Hoho.
At least it would be more fair comparison than the cubase test because the platinum verb plugin hasn't changed from logic5 -> logic7 and the logic5.5.1 @ pc is very light to run too. Logic7 only has been coded to run on G5. The plugin itself is the same. Also using cubase's audio engine @ mac when testing third party plugins is not optimal.

And in my case it was 100% fair comparison, because I was about to continue working with logic 5.5.1 @ pc instead of cubase but I still wanted to upgrade to logic7.

Well it doesn't really matter what plugins you use. I have tested some third party plugins aswell and they are very light to run, partly because the plugins run thru the logic's well optimized audio engine. In fact there are 2 cpu bars in logic and compared to my athlon 3200+, each bar moves similarly as the cpu bar in cubase with the athlon pc. The only difference is that there are 2 of those cpu bars now which you can run full.

There's not very much difference between an amd opteron and Apple/IBM G5 processors. A dual opteron system is also a very powerful machine and comparable to a G5 dual computer.

At least these tests show that if you want to use cubase, you buy a pc and if it's logic, then you buy a mac, of course, because there are no more updates for logic pc version.

I will try Crystal with both machines now and compare....

Edit: Ok, I tested 1 instance of Crystal synth and in SX2.2 it took about 10% of 3200+ a64. Similarly, 1 instance in logic pro 7 took about 10% of one G5 1.8GHz. The other processor showed 0%. I don't have time now to test both machines with the maximum load but I think it doesn't change much from this result.
Old 18.12.2004, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74

Hollow Cell, I will be sure to consult you in the future for passive-aggressive retaliatory options that will allow me to irritate those that have wronged me while preserving my own time and blood pressure. I hope your rates are good, a lot of people have pissed me off this year with needless shite!
If I can see that the person on the receiving end deserves it, then my imagination will have no price tag. Kind of like the Robin Hood of passive-aggressive tactics.

Now back to the Mac Vs PC debate.........
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut