Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 15.11.2004, 09:10 PM
Infektion taking hold...

And the copying never happened in any other genre? Prog Rock never got "copied"? Give over!

Plagiarism doesn't diminish an original - or at least it shouldn't IMO.

I say again - there are *many* creative producers out there.

If you don't want to see past the end of your musical nose, at least have the decency to not diminish a whole genre you're not familiar with.
Old 15.11.2004, 09:35 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I think I'll have to repeat myself again. ?hih.

Everyhting gets copied to certain point. You can't make anything totally new nowadays. To create something new you just end up combining things in a new innovative way. This is what I'd like to see. People bringing something new to the genre. Something that's not done before.

The point here is that on some genres producers are just making almost exact replicates only changing a little bit of it. Nothing personal, nothing new, just mindless boring copies. It's like every track is a new remix of an old track. This is a problem especially on some electronic music genres. It's just sad that the some creative stuff get drowned by this mindless copycat crap. The precentage of creative stuff on some genres is about 1% or less.

As I mentioned on my earlier postings, sometimes it feels that people forget to be creative and break the rules. They are afraid to experiment. Thay are too serious. They think like that a law forces them to do exactly the same stuff over and over again.

And again: Forget the seriousness. As one producer I know said: "Being serious and making well is two different things". This means that making good music doesn't mean (and usually won't mean) that you'll have to be dead serious.
Old 16.11.2004, 06:19 AM
Infektion taking hold...

ROFL - exact copies!?

How many "Tribute Bands" are there in psy-trance as opposed to prog rock?

And for the record - I actually like prog rock, except where it gets really self-indulgent (and it does).

My real objection to your anti-trance argument (over several threads) is where you're saying that: because some trance has been effectively plagiarised (and I don't see it in my championed sub-genre after many years of involvement BTW), trance is therefore somehow worth condemnation - wholesale.

It seems you don't like to miss an opportunity to put *trance* down.

I say again - plagiarism doesn't diminish an original idea.
Old 16.11.2004, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Aaargh! I wrote a long posting and then the browser decided to do something funny and closed the window. Well, to put it short in few steps:

1. I'm speaking of all music in general, but the problem is worst in electronic music where the threshold to start making music is the lowest.

2. I don't see anything good in plagiarism. Of course it brings certain safety to a genre (i.e. you don't ever get suprised, ?hih).

3. And I say again: They are creative producers around in every genre (well, almost in every genre, ?hih), but the precentage of the creative people is getting smaller and smaller every day. This is a problen, no?
Old 16.11.2004, 09:20 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Hmmm. Well I'm not sure that even electronic music is as pervasive.

I'm thinking about the multitude of guitarist wannabees - more lo-tech, but just as much potential for lack of creativity.

I understand your argument. All I'm saying (and you do seem to be agreeing in a sense) is that there is quality stuff in there - OK you might have to dig through the crap to get at it.

But hey - that's part of my *job* as a DJ. Find the gems and play them to an audience.

Also for the record - I don't just DJ other producer's material. I also produce myself. Hence the interest in this forum

Used to own a Virus B, but swapped it out for Virus Powercore. Fits in better with my studio as things are.
Old 16.11.2004, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purusha
Hmmm. Well I'm not sure that even electronic music is as pervasive.

I'm thinking about the multitude of guitarist wannabees - more lo-tech, but just as much potential for lack of creativity.
Yup. But on the era of cheap/free ok quality software more and more of these guitar hero wannabe's end up making trance. By the way have anyone done research why all the wannabe kids start making trance? Why not electronica or drum'n'bass?

Quote:
I understand your argument. All I'm saying (and you do seem to be agreeing in a sense) is that there is quality stuff in there - OK you might have to dig through the crap to get at it.
Yes. And digging through the crap is frusturating when the amount of crap is virtually insane.

Quote:
Also for the record - I don't just DJ other producer's material. I also produce myself. Hence the interest in this forum

Used to own a Virus B, but swapped it out for Virus Powercore. Fits in better with my studio as things are.
Yup. I planned to get a PoCo Virus next year. Getting a cheap software Virus is perfect for my needs.
Old 16.11.2004, 09:44 AM
Infektion taking hold...

BTW - I think you might have mis-understood what I meant by "plagiarism doesn't diminish an original".

I meant that because something is 'copied', it doesn't mean that the original becomes worthless. The original still stands in its own right.

I wasn't trying to say plagiarism is a good thing.
Old 16.11.2004, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
BTW - I think you might have mis-understood what I meant by "plagiarism doesn't diminish an original".

I meant that because something is 'copied', it doesn't mean that the original becomes worthless. The original still stands in its own right.

I wasn't trying to say plagiarism is a good thing.
The original doesn't get worthless, the copy is worthless. It's like forging known paintings - The original retains its value and the forgery is totally worthless. And the more people forge the more worthless the average gets.
Old 16.11.2004, 10:10 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Like this you mean?

"ReGenesis - The Early Genesis Tribute Band"

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~andyrh/

"Tribute" bands (as a concept in general)

Old 16.11.2004, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Like this you mean?

"ReGenesis - The Early Genesis Tribute Band"

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~andyrh/

"Tribute" bands (as a concept in general)
Hey, can't get enought vintage Genesis, I say. Tribute bands, covers and remixes are not a problem. Actually they are brilliant.