Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 16.11.2004, 10:26 AM
Infektion taking hold...

But - they're copies!?!?

"The original doesn't get worthless, the copy is worthless. It's like forging known paintings - The original retains its value and the forgery is totally worthless. And the more people forge the more worthless the average gets."

I know there's the point that they're meant to be copies and stated as such, but that's no real excuse in my book. Where's the "creativity" there. Sure - take the originals as influence and extrapolate. No problems with that.

The kind of style copying you seem to be levelling at trance, I'd also level at bands say like: Marrilion (sp?) who sounded very much like Genesis.

They were adopting a style, not duplicating tracks. That's all that's happening in the Trance I come across. I don't hear attempts to duplicate, but I do see the adoption of styles.
Old 16.11.2004, 10:45 AM
This forum member lives here

Right or wrong, everyone has a right to their opinion, and just because someone doesnt agree with it, doesnt mean that their opinion is somehow invalid......

My opinion? Trance is shit.....

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 16.11.2004, 10:51 AM
Infektion taking hold...

And you'd be *wrong*!

Just my opinion of course.

Old 16.11.2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purusha
And you'd be *wrong*!

Just my opinion of course.

Hehehe.......

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 16.11.2004, 11:45 AM

opinions are like ass-holes. everyone has one and they usually stink (another bad aussie saying - gotta love em)

Quote:
Tribute bands, covers and remixes are not a problem.
Juho im sorry but i believe you contradicted yourself there son

I agree with purusha - in any given genre you have to wade through a lot of average releases to find the truly inspirational and original material.
psytrance and its sub-genres have been over ridden with freaks on pcs with loads of burnt software and a soundblaster soundcard.

Please place a solid distinction between hard house/euro trance and psytrance. These are two vastly differently styles of music and scenes and it is not fair to throw them in the same basket. (sorry to hard house lovers - not my cup of tea).

Psychedelic trance to me is a little too much. i overload on too many layers, especially when there are 20 odd of them - all arpeggiated and all with ridiculous fx and panning.
But from psytrance the progressive genre was born. It focuses on a more minimal sound, intricate rhythms, and clean production. Labels such as Zenon and Plusquam records have been promoting their own style of this genre for some time now and if you gave some of this stuff a listen, you could not deny the quality of the arrangements, nor the sheer musical genius that some of these guys possess.

be careful to bag a genre/style before you have really looked into whats
available... im not sure too many here wouldve appreciated me jumping on here and saying 'that john-nickel-jar guy suck arse'
Old 16.11.2004, 12:23 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Thought there was a bit of foot shooting going on there meself blay.

BTW - the material I usually DJ is where psy & prog trance start to cross-over. Not ever-so keen on the Israeli style hundreds of layers stuff myself.
Old 16.11.2004, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
But - they're copies!?!?
Yes, because they are intented to be so. It's not plagiarism we are dealing with in there. The problem part is the plagiarism or semi-plagiarism in which yous teal the ideas of others rather than using your own ideas.

Quote:
The kind of style copying you seem to be levelling at trance, I'd also level at bands say like: Marrilion (sp?) who sounded very much like Genesis.
That's why we call Marillion as a poor man's Genesis. Hoho. As I said this kind of duplicating and copying is problem on many areas. Less on some, more on others. The point is that there's very few creative things around even the technology has offered more and more possibilities for creativity and sound design.

This discussion is straying away from the original idea... I'll have to check what was the original thesis... Yes. The next dance music sound. I hopw it's something new. I think I'll have to save the tomorrow.
Old 16.11.2004, 12:36 PM
Infektion taking hold...

But - your original point was a lack of creativity in a particular genre!!!

Where's the creativity in a Tribute band?
Old 16.11.2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
But - your original point was a lack of creativity in a particular genre!!!

Where's the creativity in a Tribute band?
It's very different to perform covers and/or remixes than copy other artist's/band's style and music and perform it as your own.

And I see no reason why remixes and cover bands couldn't be creative.

Edit: By the way you're welcome to participate our little remix contest.
Old 16.11.2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
It's very different to perform covers and/or remixes than copy other artist's/band's style and music and perform it as your own.
i agree with this statement.
but you have to admit there arent too many current covers/remixes available that have anything worthwhile musically to offer

(back to the same heap to sort through the shit and find yourself a gem)