Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 31.07.2009, 01:47 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthman1 View Post
I'm not following what you mean here? I'll give it a stab though.

A plug-in is developed in a software standard like VST. Its up to the daw producer to make sure that standard is compatible and supported in their own software. It's up to the end user to make sure their system is powerful enough to run it and make sure it works in conjunction with their own various customized DAW hardware and software configuration. None of those things are the obligation of the soft-synth developer.

What Access appears to be doing with TI is exactly the opposite by assuming the obligations and responsibilities of end users and music software manufacturers.

If you want a software plug in, then why not release a single instance software VST plug-in.

I understand the concept of trying to create one hardware/software product that does it all while off-loading the processor requirements to the Virus, but something has to give and usually its latency, stability and performance when you push it too far and try to be all things to everyone.
i can't follow you either. i give up

marc

Follow the Virus on Twitter: http://twitter.com/accessmusic
Watch the Virus on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/accessmusic
Become Infected friends on Facebook: http://facebook.com/pages/Virus/77569453701
Old 31.07.2009, 02:59 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkaz View Post
It is obvious that you do not know at all how the whole market works.
I think you just want to troll. If you don't like TI, don't use it.

Let the other 99% be happy with it.

r
I'll only reply to the part that is a legitimate point which is "If you don't like TI, don't use it."

The bugs exist regardless. I think this post by Soulidstate in another thread sums up pretty good:

“My TI2 desktop makes sudden outburst of noise, more like a hiss with noise which I can liken to a "sneeze". When this happens, all LEDs shut down momentarily and the LCD remains lit. This happens even if it's on stand alone meaning without USB connection.”

The A, B and C are rock solid. The B and C each have evolved features from previous models much like the TI does. The A, B and C don’t have TI which the most prevalent common dominator why the TI isn’t stable.

Without a clean OS “stand alone” version to compare and test, it’s difficult to “prove” my perspective unequivocally, but you cant say TI code doesn’t have some effect on the overall stability and performance either unless this can tested. Besides, we already know the TI is more stable in stand alone mode than in TI mode, so it does clearly point that way if not provide some evidence.

What’s the harm in releasing an optimized Stand Alone OS version without TI to test? The worst it can do is work more effectively. Users can have more options on what OS they can go with.

Access has already done something vaguely similar in the past. You could load an OS version without the demo song giving you more patch storage.
Old 31.07.2009, 07:58 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Smile

Quote:
Without a clean OS “stand alone” version to compare and test, it’s difficult to “prove” my perspective unequivocally, but you cant say TI code doesn’t have some effect on the overall stability and performance either unless this can tested. Besides, we already know the TI is more stable in stand alone mode than in TI mode, so it does clearly point that way if not provide some evidence.
your argument is flawed and it "proves" nothing. have a happy life.

r
Old 01.08.2009, 06:23 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I can't see why anyone needs to be hostile or dismissive of the suggestion that a standalone editor would be nice. If it's such an obvious non-starter and ridiculous idea, then why do Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Nord, and many others provide computer interfaces of this kind to their synths? All of these companies are clueless about synth interface design? hmm.

Here's the thing. If someone prefers to work in standalone mode for one reason or another -- because they want to use the analog outs, or because they are using a hardware sequencer, or because they find the latency of TI mode to be problematic when they are tracking, or whatever -- then they don't get any software editor to the machine at all while they are recording with it. In other words, there is kitchen sink USB TI mode, in which audio and MIDI and editing and everything goes through the computer, or standalone mode, in which nothing does. These are very extreme choices. To have a software librarian for organizing patches while you are recording would be really nice even for those of us working in standalone mode.

It's not the end of the world; I'm crazy about the Virus and I have used it in standalone mode from the first day and I've been very happy with it. But it irritates me a little that several of my much older synths have computer-based librarians and editors while, effectively, I don't get that functionality from the Virus because I choose to use it standalone.

-Luddy
Old 01.08.2009, 06:44 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddy View Post
In other words, there is kitchen sink USB TI mode, in which audio and MIDI and editing and everything goes through the computer, or standalone mode, in which nothing does. These are very extreme choices. To have a software librarian for organizing patches while you are recording would be really nice even for those of us working in standalone mode.
I guess in all their fascination with USB and TI they forgot people still use MIDI in, out and thru ports.

That’s another good point. If Access ever decided to stopped supporting TI for whatever reason, or offer an alternative, they would have a stand alone OS and midi capable librarian/editor like most other hardware synths.
Old 02.08.2009, 10:37 AM
Very mucho Newbie

There are some people who don't like the Virus TI integration, so

sell it.
Old 02.08.2009, 12:07 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atziluth View Post
There are some people who don't like the Virus TI integration, so

sell it.
hahaha this forum gets better by the day!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 02.08.2009, 01:54 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
There are some people who don't like the Virus TI integration, so sell it.
Some of us have “sold it” and gone back to previous models or are waiting to upgrade (again) until there is clear confirmation of stability and the issues are resolved.

But that’s not in the best interest of Access Music or the user community, is it? Certainly “take it or leave it” is one approach, there are other alternatives as well!
Old 03.08.2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Some of us have “sold it” and gone back to previous models or are waiting to upgrade (again) until there is clear confirmation of stability and the issues are resolved.

But that’s not in the best interest of Access Music or the user community, is it? Certainly “take it or leave it” is one approach, there are other alternatives as well!
Yep, I along with most of the people I colab with have taken the "not buy one at all" approach - works for us.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 03.08.2009, 01:39 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
There are some people who don't like the Virus TI integration, so sell it.

psst: some people bought it for the sound it makes and not only so they could pretend it is a software plug-in. weird, I know.

-Luddy