Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 14.02.2015, 01:12 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default weird disappearing delay/ring mod/thing

This is weird and I wonder if anyone here can unravel it.
Go to an init patch.
Add some delay.
Go to the Filterbank and add Ring Modulation, Mix 100%, Frequency +0, Stereo Phase -64
The delay disappears.
Move frequency to anything but +0 it comes back.
Move Stereo Phase to anything but -64 and it comes back.

Anyone know enough about what's going on here under the hood to explain it?
Thanks
Old 14.02.2015, 02:40 AM
This forum member lives here

I can hazard a rough guess but it is only that. Seems like phase cancellation occurring at 64 degrees on the RM setting. The multiplication of a carrier wave by the ring mod process has a tendency to produce a sort of amplitude pulsing, which to some extent could be similar to a delay effect, so I guess due to routing (don't have a Virus FX routing diagram in front of me) the RM is canceling the delay effect but not the dry signal?
Old 14.02.2015, 01:45 PM
New here

Yeah, my thoughts have been going down the phase cancellation path too and when I get to the dry signal being fine it makes me think there's some sort of counter intuitive routing going on. FX routing in particular.
If you take away phase cancellation I really have no clue how this is working.

I'm sitting next to the Virus so I thought I would see what it does with reverb.
Get this. With reverb the dry signal disappears too.
Old 14.02.2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncerely View Post
I'm sitting next to the Virus so I thought I would see what it does with reverb. Get this. With reverb the dry signal disappears too.
Found this thread regarding elusive diagram of FX routing which might have something to do with it.

http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=29964

If it's always delay first then reverb, that means turning the reverb mix knob to the right is effectively giving you less of the input signal and more of the delayed result as you turn it to the right, and since the delay is being mostly masked, there's nothing to hear as the knob approaches the rightmost (wettest) setting (where it shows just "effect" in the plugin for reverb).

Again only theorizing but seems plausible. Kind of a departure from the routing flexibility of the Ultranova, isn't it? Although in practicality delay really should precede reverb for most sounds anyway.
Old 14.02.2015, 10:07 PM
New here

Thanks!
I've been finding better explanations for some things in the older Virus manuals, e.g. LFO Contour is never really explained in the TI manual.
Yeah I dearly love the Virus but seriously I think few appreciate the intense tweakability of the Ultranova vis a vis the Virus. I love the sound of the Virus's oscillators and filters. I love the tweakability of the Ultranova.
I was shocked that the slope of the filters was dependent on the routing in the Virus. I was just scratching my head. I just thought I was somehow missing something obvious.
I'm digging into both really deep and I could talk for hours about them both in relation to each other but I don't know anyone who wants to listen.
I know my wife would be fine never hearing another word about it. )