Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 23.09.2011, 12:37 AM
New here
New here

Cool [unsolved] Internal routing, aux on Virus C.

Hi everyone!

I bought not long ago a used Virus C desktop and now after a while there are a few things that i cant really get my head wrapped around. One of them is the so called internal routing aka aux. And yes i have read the manual and its very poorly described there and makes no greater sence, as much thing in there. Even searched the Internet and have not come up with anything useful.

To start with what is the great idea with this internal routing and talk about for instance that one sound can filter another and so on? I mean what do you win by that? Just edit the filter settings in that case on the actual sound in the first place??? So i think i dont grasp the concept here. Can anyone explain it and throw in a couple of examples too.

And is this only for parts? I mean there are aux routings for other things than parts, for instance for single sounds? i find that confusing too.

Well give it a shot because neither the manual, DUH!!, nor the net can help me on this one.

Thanks in advance

//Tommy

Last edited by punx : 23.09.2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 16.03.2015, 06:24 PM
New here
New here

The internal auxes work just like having an extra 2 pair of audio inputs and outputs on the back of the synth that can only be sent to or received from by parts in multi mode. The delay/reverb block can also be sent to an aux, just as it can be sent to an alternate output.

To use an aux, in multi mode, change the output of a part to the aux you want to use (stereo or mono) from the multi edit menu . This part will now make no sound. To get sound back, you have to switch to a different part, change it to input mode (I usually use static, but there's no reason you can't use dynamic if you're doing the right things with the notes...), and select the same aux. On the 'C', the input menu is hidden in the effects edit button.

There are two big uses for the auxes in addition to simply routing one part to another for more effects. The first is applying filter to the vocoder. Since the vocoder occupies the filter block when it is turned on, this lets you use the nice filter models with the vocoder.

The second is extremely powerful - you can create feedback loops! For example, one technique I use frequently is this: send the delay/reverb to an aux instead of a hardware output. Set one part to receive only the left aux, and another the right, then cross-pan them in their multi setups. The FX send parameters on those parts now control feedback, which will absolutely self-oscillate (be careful with that). You now have a (considerably more powerful) Jomox T-Resonator inside your virus.

I recently got a TI2 and was floored that this option no longer exists. It's honestly unfathomable to me how access engineers could be so shortsighted as to eliminate this feature.
Old 10.04.2015, 02:42 PM
Veteran
Veteran

You can still do it if you set the routings right in your DAW. So that's probably what Access had in mind, you don't really need redundancy. Most people today work on a computer centred studio, even hardcore hardware people have to hit the record button for tracking and do some mixing afterwards. Not short sighted, just keeping it real