Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 30.11.2008, 11:32 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Snow and its bass sound?

Hey guys i really love the snow, well the whole virus collection, however i am starting to really doubt the snows capability of creating a nice bass sound

Am i being foolish here and totally wrong. I have spent the past 6 weeks tweeking several bass patches and trying to get them to sit in my mix and i have not had much luck! The bass is either far too muddy or just sticks out really bad in the mix!

However alot of the other sounds are truly awesome. should i just stricktly just use 1 particular soundset for 1 whole track? i mean i like to mix and match my hardware, virtual analoge and vsts?

any advice? also i find that i have to bounce down most parts in order to get any real benefit from the virus..may i ask how you guys tackle this? in all honest i have had the desktop and now the snow and generally you can bearly get more then 4 parts playing toghether without note stealing i.e. sounds dropping out and so on. I am really curious as to how you guys approach the production process with the virus? i mean lets say i have a patch i want to weak all the way through the song, this would make it difficult to this if i had to bounce down the part first, unless i tweak and bounce which could create some problems.!

1 more question where in the virus control can i find the new atomizer? cant find it anywhere!
Old 01.12.2008, 12:38 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Bass out of the Virus is fine, like every other sound it's just a matter of designing and mixing it properly to fit with the rest of the track.

The number of parts/voices available in the Snow is reduced compared to the Desktop.

Atomizer - as you would read in the manual, press the master Edit button until the Inputs header comes up with Atomizer option. And then you'll be having loads of fun with it in seconds!!
Old 01.12.2008, 01:58 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

thank you....not a problem...but hey essenitally the sound the same right the desktop and the snow albeit the parts and voices
Old 01.12.2008, 04:34 AM
New here
New here

There's no problem with the Virus and Bass that's for sure. However if u have a bass that has Unison x8 then it's definitely going to stick out more then ur drums per say unless u apply the proper compression and eq to both. So try using a third-party eq on ur bass patch and highpass it to try an leave some room for ur kick per say.
Old 01.12.2008, 05:00 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I've never had a problem. It all depends on how your mix is setup. A slight sidechain could definetly fix your problem... depending on style.

Ever Virus bass sound needs a touch of compression in my opinion. Also, look for the fundmental frequency in your bass sound and cut it in your kick, that should sort you out as well.
Old 02.12.2008, 12:21 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

And don't forget the EQ options on the Virus itself in the FX section.
Old 02.12.2008, 06:32 AM
Am starting to like this forum

I'm getting some fine basses out of the synth using Phase Mod, Sum-Distortion (to emulate analog filter saturation) from the FX-Section or graintables, otherwise the Virus is bass wise hehaving below average in comparison to most of my other synths. But I must admit that I prefere my synth basses dry and unprocessed.
Old 02.12.2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I don't like the way that the Virus' distortion or saturation just takes the life out of the bass sounds, so I tend to post-process bass type stuff outside of the Virus, layering with other non-Virus sounds (to underpin it, or add a percussive edge) and add 3rd party distortion, EQ, and transient shaping it. Bussing it with other sounds and compressing it helps it gel, along with the good old sidechain for making it chug.
Old 03.12.2008, 03:45 PM
Infektion taking hold...

er... what kind of bass sounds are you talking about? smooth sub bass? dirty "drum and" bass? modeled acoustic upright bass?

http://www.themoodchannel.com
Old 12.12.2008, 08:32 PM
New here
New here

Mmmmmmm dirty drum n bass