Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 05.10.2004, 06:58 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Send a message via MSN to AjmaGard
Default Adding compressor to mixer...

Does anyone know how I can plug a two-channel compressor to my Behringer MX802A such that I can use one compressor-channel for kick, and the other for bass?

I can only seem to get everything going to one channel! Do I need a Y-cable or something.

I actually thought that I could use Aux1 for one channel and Aux2 for the other, but it doesn't seem to work that way

Any suggestions?

Thx
Old 05.10.2004, 12:34 PM
This forum member lives here

Hi,

Traditionally, when using a compressor (Dynamics processor), the mixing desks 'insert points' are used. This is preferential to using the Aux sends (Which are used for reverbs/delays etc) because when using an insert point, the ENTIRE signal is sent to the device (using a Y-Lead) and then returned to the desk. When using the aux sends, only a PORTION of the signal is tapped off to the external reverb/delay, and then the return is "Mixed" with the original "Dry" signal.

When using FX such as compressors and EQ, you want the WHOLE signal to be passed to the FX, and then returned, using the Insert points on the desk. You do NOT want to use the aux sends for dynamics processing such as this.

Unfortunately for you, the Behringer mixing desk you have does NOT have Insert points. It doesnt even have DIRECT outs for the individual mono channels, which you would have been able to use to send the signal to the compressor, and then onto your computer.

DONT USE YOUR AUX SENDS FOR YOUR COMPRESSOR! Seriously.....

Sorry...just had to ram that point home. Now, what you can do is this. For your signal in channel 1, pan it HARD LEFT. For your signal in channel 2, pan it HARD RIGHT. Take you main outputs from the desk, and send then to the inputs on your compressor. Then, take the outputs from your compressor, and send them to 2 seperate inputs on your soundcard.

This will allow you to use the compressor across both channels, independantly.

But.....I suggest getting a new desk, with Direct outs for all mono channels, which also act is your insert points. I can recommend the Mackie VLZ1202 PRO. It will be a great little investment.

Good luck!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 05.10.2004, 01:03 PM

Thanks for your reply
Well, I think I am sending the whole signal from one of my channels. I have both a pre and post-fader aux. I guess when using the prefade aux, the whole signal is send (I turn the knob all the way down), and it is not mixed with the dry signal. So the compressor is actually doing its job. It's just doing it for both the kick and the bass on the same channel. I can't really do the thing with other inputs on my soundcard, since this is intended for live usage, and I don't use computers for that at all
Old 05.10.2004, 01:16 PM

regardless of whether the aux is pre/post fader, it is still only sending a portion of the signal to the compressor.....if you can still hear your signal whilst sending it via aux and not plugging into anything, then you are NOT sending the whole signal through....trust me here dude.

AUX sends for reverbs/delays etc

Insert points for dynamics processors (ie comp/limiters/ EQ)

Pre fader means that the send wont be affected by movements of your fader, which is usefull for monitor sends

Post Fader means that the send WILL be affected by movements of your fader, which is usefull for FX sends.

Seriously, trust me here. This is not me just taking wild guesses....Your compressor is ONLY receiving a PORTION of the signal, and thus is NOT compressing the whole signal, which means it is not doing its job.

Where are the outputs of your compressor coming back to??? The Aux returns??? try turning the aux return master down all the way, so it is OFF. Do you still hear the original signal on channel 1????

Even if the send is turned all the way, it is STILL only a portion of the signal being sent.

Good luck...

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 05.10.2004, 01:26 PM

When I turn the aux returns down, I don't hear anything at all...
Old 05.10.2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjmaGard
When I turn the aux returns down, I don't hear anything at all...
Is your channel fader up????

Seems strange, as the channel is routed to the stereo buss regardless of what the aux sends/returns are doing

Old 05.10.2004, 04:45 PM

Hmmm, I solved it by putting the compressor between my virus and the mixer channel... Not the best sollution, but it gets the job done until I get my hands on a mixer with inserts
Thank God for more than one output

Thanks for trying to help me and explaining how to add effects to my mixer
Old 06.10.2004, 12:05 AM

Just had to say, nice clear explanation Jase.

I do use inserts for things like valve-pres and I would use them for an outboard Compressor too (if I had one ).

But....

I think you can send a signal at 100% through the sends bus though. To mimick this in Cubase place an effect on a channel pre-fader, then turn the fader completely down untill you hear nothing - from here turn the send up (with the fader still down) - the signal is completely wet.

You are studying about this stuff at school Jase, and I'm no expert, but it really does sound the same on my desk. There isn't any dry signal in the mix at all if I run pre-fader (with the slider down) and the send knob at full.

I mainly was using inserts, because I need free sends busses on my desk.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 06.10.2004, 05:57 AM

Great, I guess I wasn't a total idiot anway then

Well, even though the signal is totally wet, I can't use the AUX procedure anyway. Since only one of my Aux is prefader, it will always route the signal to the same channel on the compressor, which makes it a bit hard to use sidechaining If I send from aux2, the signal will indeed be mixed since this is post-fader, and then the wet signal is mixed with the dry.

Does anyone know what a 8-10-channel (4-6 monochannels) mixer with insert-points costs these days (both new and used)?
Old 06.10.2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Just had to say, nice clear explanation Jase.
You are studying about this stuff at school Jase, and I'm no expert, but it really does sound the same on my desk. There isn't any dry signal in the mix at all if I run pre-fader (with the slider down) and the send knob at full.
Well....when using the aux PRE-Fader, any movements of the channel fader you make will NOT affect the send amount, but will still be routed normally to the mix bus. If you have this fader down, obviously the 'dry' signal is not being sent to the mix bus, and you will only be monitoring your aux return, which will be a tapped off portion of the original signal. The thing is, you are not sending the signal through the compressor, only a selected amount/ copy of it...so ultimately the compressor is not being used to it's full potential.....

I guess I too am a little sketchy on the exact technical reasons, as I am no pro (yet!), still only a student.....And yes, I too may be completely wrong about this. Can somebody out there confirm/elaborate?????

The Mackie desks are quite reasonanly priced Ajmagard....Im sure you could pick up a S/H 1202VLZ Pro quite cheaply.....

Anyways, hope I wasnt too rude or pigheaded with my explanations before. I dont understand alot of it either....

Cheers!