Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.01.2009, 05:45 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat! View Post
How about 26th of Feb? (My birthday) Hahaha!
Anyways, since we're on multimode..... err how exactly do we access multimode or save multimode patches using VC?Are there presets already? Sorry if i sound like a n00b. My baby sn0w is only a month old.
How about the 3rd February - My Birthday!! Hang on that wouldn't be enough time, scrap that
Old 20.01.2009, 07:12 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat! View Post
How about 26th of Feb? (My birthday) Hahaha!
Anyways, since we're on multimode..... err how exactly do we access multimode or save multimode patches using VC?Are there presets already? Sorry if i sound like a n00b. My baby sn0w is only a month old.
Let's go for a compromise: 27th of February (which happens to be my birthday - I kid you not).

I think the multimode is only accessible in midi mode (i.e. not via VC). I may be mistaken though - I also have just recently caught my virus.
Old 20.01.2009, 07:25 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Shall we set some criteria/rules first, and then a challenge-end date?

* Virus TI only, or all Viruses? (I guess with a name like "Graindance" non-TI Viruses wouldn't be able to use the graintable element of the TI).
* Should the overall winner be chosen by Access themselves, or by user (forum) voting?

I think each entry should have a brief >20 second demo MP3 (made by the entrant themselves) showcasing their patch (to let people hear it to its best potential, or how it's meant to be played), along with the patch dump/data (not to be made available to everyone until the competition is over).

The patches should (obviously) be evocative of the Graindance and Plasmatron names.
Good points, Timo. If Access would do the "judging" it would be great - but if they prefer to use their resources for their undoubtedly busy business-times (with the release of the Mk2 and all) that's perfectly understandable.

I would say no multipatches - keep the challenge to single presets.

Ofcourse Graindance literally makes most sense for TI users, but since it's about an artist's/sounddesigner's interpretation of the name, I don't see how non-TI Virus users couldn't create a preset that has a graindancy character.
Old 20.01.2009, 08:43 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brambos View Post
Let's go for a compromise: 27th of February (which happens to be my birthday - I kid you not).
PMSL! Excellent, Splat!, do you think that's fair?

Quote:
I think the multimode is only accessible in midi mode (i.e. not via VC). I may be mistaken though - I also have just recently caught my virus.
I am also new to the Virus, so don't take this as gospel, but that is also my impression. A workaround I've come across is to make make 2 patches designed to be used together, suffixing the patch name with 1/2 and 2/2. Load one to channel one, the other to channel two and then just copy all of midi track one to midi track two. That's a bit of a faff, so I'd be happy to limit it to 1 voice.
Old 20.01.2009, 02:20 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

It's funny how everyone's birthday is suddenly in February Lol, I'm cool with any date. *Does the Grainy dance*
________
vaporizer store

Last edited by Splat! : 29.01.2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 20.01.2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
What are the chances of that!! Mind blowing.

And to add to it further, the 27th is my Dad's birthday. O.O

OK, 27th Feb it is, and is open to all Viruses!

As soon as Access/Marc can confirm if they are free to be able to judge the competition I'll add a news item to the Infekted homepage and kick it off.
Old 20.01.2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Will the Graintable and Plasmatron entries be judged as "one" (both together, as one entry), or individually (effectively two separate competitions)?

I guess to keep it as just one competition Access could perhaps rate each of the two patches per person themselves, and the person with the most points for both overall wins.
Old 21.01.2009, 03:49 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I think that each one has to be judged individually - to ensure that the best possible patch is used for each instead of an inferior plasmatron winning just because the graindance was so good. IF there can only be one winner (they may have two shirts somewhere in their warehouse), whoever's judging has to decide which patch is better - the best graindance or the best plasmatron.

I agree with your idea of an mp3 demo (of just that patch being played) to get a feel for it (with soft knobs and all).

I'm going to try to use OS3 features since not many patches use them yet. I hope everyone else does too.
Old 21.01.2009, 08:19 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Will the Graintable and Plasmatron entries be judged as "one" (both together, as one entry), or individually (effectively two separate competitions)?

I guess to keep it as just one competition Access could perhaps rate each of the two patches per person themselves, and the person with the most points for both overall wins.
i think the forum should rate, not us.

best, marc
Old 22.01.2009, 08:08 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
i think the forum should rate, not us.
Fair enough. I think that could work (maybe using the poll-system on the site?).

Alternatively we could maybe also ask some of the resident Sound designers on e.g. KVR to nominate their favorites. People like Howard Scarr hang out there, and so do representatives of Arksun, Bigtone etc. Just an idea.