Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 22.02.2013, 09:38 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Waldorf Rocket

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/0...gh-res-images/

This product already has the usuer manual avail for download at waldorf-music.de and the Pulse 2 is indeed still listed in same color schema and same as newly release Rocket. "And at €244 (€205 without VAT), due next month in advance of Frankfurt’s Musikmesse trade show..."

I suspect that The Pulse 2 will work as a partner in sonic crime with or without Rocket, and my only guessing here is, perhaps this will be how the Pulse 2 will achieve 8 voice paraphonic, again, just a guess.
This has true analog filters, vca, and in new trend, indeed a "hybrid". We need to remember that BEFORE Dave Smith's Evolver hybrid synth, Waldorf had started this digital/analog hybrid in first part of 90's with The Wave, and the Microwave 1, then in their Q+ in their first incarnation.At about same time in vintage synth history, Ensoniq were doing same, even mixing the hybrid with sampling but it also broke their backs, as it is never easy being an innovator, and Dave Smith's Sequential Prophet VS is another shining example of that plus it also is a shining example of just how "fickle" musicians and artists can be; forbearers of change but resistant to it at times as well! These are interesting times indeed! Am glad I decided to not preorder Korg MS20 and now will just wait and see what Spring unfolds and if anything like the Blofeld, not only to wait for all OS bugs sorted, but if I were a betting man (I am not); so am speculating that the inexpensive Rocket may very-well fund a keyboard-adorned Pulse 2/Rocket hardware synth...again, only speculating but what's interesting, in the Rocket's downloaded pdf manual very last page, it is signed off by Stefan Stenzel Dec 10, 2012!!!!
Yeah, I am excited! The link has a short sonic video and almost forgot...there's an VCF INPUT for external warming!!!!! PLAY LOUDLY!

Last edited by namnibor : 23.02.2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 23.02.2013, 02:39 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Seems cool, i'm waiting for more videos and sounds.
Pulse 2 maybe is near....

my soundcloud page
Old 23.02.2013, 10:31 PM
Veteran
Veteran

don't like the envelopes on this... would rather get a blofeld or the pulse 2, but it looks cool
Old 23.02.2013, 11:47 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
don't like the envelopes on this... would rather get a blofeld or the pulse 2, but it looks cool
Based on the envelope's obvious lack of an obvious attack, THAT was a dead-ringer for my hypothesis that this device is MORE of a partner in sonic crime with Pulse 2. Same color scheme and one thing Waldorf has been consistant in their industrial design matched with function is indeed color schema. Again, this is yet another hypothesis here: notice only on the left side panel of Rocket, there's two grooves. These are either as simply an ergonomic design function for picking Rocket up, or for perhaps tidying-up a yet to be disclosed connection. Note that it is very unusual or 'less common' for ANY device to be soley USB-powered as the Rocket appears to be. It would be entirely possible for say the Pulse 2, which is spec'd to have external power, to then be able to plug the Rocket's USB into Pulse 2. Only speculation but after reading the Rocket's complete first version owner's manual pdf download on Waldorf's site; they were emphatic about to ONLY use the INCLOSED USB line to power the Rocket. THAT raised more questions...the obvious missing from facia of Rocket of proper attack and envelope(s), the user manual shows those functions are clearly controllable via external controller midi cc#'s.
Marketing has become more of a "psy-ops" type of thing these days in which no manufacturer realistically wants to outlay all their 'cards' on the table before a major music trade show. I personally have always prefered the upcoming music trade show over NAMM and would bet that still covert functions of DSI Prophet 12 will be further disclosed there as well.
My brain is more warped realizing the inherent limitations of Virus KC Multimode...seems easier to just record track by track!
Old 25.02.2013, 04:33 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, didn't know it was possible to adjust those parameters via MIDI - like you say. It adds value to it, in my opinion. Would be interesting if that speculation turned out to be true, that the two synthesizers could connect to each other - would make a great sounding analogue/digital hybrid for sure. I'm expecting to ear demos for both pretty soon.
Old 14.04.2013, 10:11 AM
Pro
Pro

Take a listen to Stefan Trippler's audio demo using 22 tacks in Cubase 5 using only the Rocket and slight bit of delay and reverb on a classic Depche Mode song, as it's the most outstanding demo yet:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRE0...ature=youtu.be
Old 14.04.2013, 02:15 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

The demo is good, but i noticed a 'lack of something' in general.
Maybe the sounds are too much raw, but i think the Virus can go very much far beyond that.

my soundcloud page
Old 14.04.2013, 05:58 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
The demo is good, but i noticed a 'lack of something' in general.
Maybe the sounds are too much raw, but i think the Virus can go very much far beyond that.
No doubt, you are correct and that "something missing" is absolutely no attack or decay parameter on envelopes...with the limitations given, I thought it was best demo I had heard though!

Of COURSE the Virus is a much deeper synth! I think the only two other synths I have that actually rival the Virus is DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard and the Waldorf Q, of which, is actually more modulation rich and a VERRRRRY deep synth engine with 5 osc's, 4-seven stage loopable envelopes, etc....but realize I am comparing it to my Virus KC as am sure the Ti line is much deeper. There's actually ALOT of Waldorf DNA in the code of pre-Ti Virus because when Waldorf went bankrupt, a good portion of the creative people from Waldorf went to Access and I read even helped development of the first Ti Virus.
I am not interested in The Rocket. Only thing I want is an all analog for dedicated bass duties and the Moog Minitaur is too limited, but like the small form factor of new Moog Sub Phatty and the fact unlike a lot of other candidates, the Sub Phatty sends a midi cc for every minute knob movement and can be entirely automated via DAW. The smaller two octave keyboard does not bother me because for mostly bass it is fine but it's capable of doing higher octave mini-moogish stuff as well. Have grown a bit tired of waiting for Waldorf and Pulse 2 and although can get around matrix interface with Blofeld no problem, I want keys and small form factor.

So my two choices are the Korg MS20 Mini and the Moog Sub Phatty.

Stefan Trippler is a great sound designer and has contributed to most synths talked about here.