Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 23.01.2008, 06:47 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

It looks to me like they sample the audio (hence the reason the audio is going into the virus and the synth engine is turned off)

You tap the tempo of the track to get the virus to collect the correct 16th note lengths and then when you press a key it adds effects , cuts tiny loops to make glitch sounds, reverses 8th/16th clips, retriggers different parts of the loop and by the look of it adds filtering with the knobs.

I had a vst effect that did the exact same thing about 4 years ago (cant remember the name now)

it doesnt have anything to do with midi as midi couldnt alter the audio and neither could it reverse the audio.

edit..

listen to this clip near the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPvsg...d.php?p=280244

you can hear it alter the sample "I dont know what this world is comming to" from Dr Bakers KOAS oldskooly techno record.

Last edited by IamEvil : 23.01.2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 23.01.2008, 08:02 PM
This forum member lives here

if you guys want to get a feel for what this can do, a plugin called dblue glitch does this. I have been using it for a while and really like it, though i am going to enjoy the hands on approach with using my TI to do it.
Old 25.01.2008, 11:58 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Send a message via ICQ to Analog Warriors

right ... but you can do a lot more than just repeat, filter, warp, bit-reduction a.s.o we were using a reaktor plugin called FAST FX as master effect that can produce exactly this wired sound - you can do amazing things with those effects.

we used a reversed delay from the TC D-TWO on the TB303 and from one second to another reversed the whole mixdown with this plugin on the master so the everythings else was playing backwards exclusive of the 303, than froze, scliced filtered it and evertghing back, a break (turned the plugin off) and then solo on the TB303 with a dropin of the other mixdown parts going the "normal" direction ... i can tell you, the crowd was going total crazy. Nobodys gets why the sound is so wired, most people just grab their heads an start laughing and screaming

but to have this features as hardware effects is an advantage words cannot tell. absultly amazing ... i've got to get a TI (!!!)

Analog Warriors
Old 27.01.2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

More details on the Atomizer, confirmed elsewhere from Marc @ Access:

Quote:
- atomizer is an effect and runs in parallel to the virus engine. it occupies one part (out of the 15 in a TI polar for instance) and doesn't eat much calculating power

- everything you atomize can be recorded either as audio or as midi events. that's a huge difference to most plug-ins doing similar stuff. you can copy/paste and edit what you've atomized in your sequencer.

- atomizer is not based on random events. what you hear is what you play

- the lower notes (starting from E for about 1 1/2 octaves) are larger buffer sizes. 1/2 bar, 1/4 bar ... 1/16 notes, 1/32 notes ... 1/512 note ... . the higher notes are very small buffer sizes which are tuned so you can play melodies with the incoming audio.

- there is modifier keys which allow you to reverse audio (right when it happens) and do other things

- the pitch bender works as expected in a range of up to +64/-64 semitones

- the modwheel becomes a cross fader. the middle position is completely dry audio (when you hit a key, nothing happens). from the middle down you crossfade through a highpass filter, which leaves the lower frequencies (kick and bass for instance) untouched and atomizer only changes the higher frequencies (such as HHs and vocals). from the middle to the top end you crossfade through a lowpass (atomizer will only change the lower frequencies).

- all virus effects can be applied to what you atomize, the dry signal will stay dry

- the whole mod matrix still works when you atomize things. richard devine in one of the videos alters the reverb send level when pitching up using the pitch bender. he also uses the rate reducer sometimes when it atomizes.

- you can either tap the tempo in (using the keys or the tap tempo button) or sync atomizer to incoming midi clock
Old 27.01.2008, 06:09 PM

That's more like having matter flying out of every orifice than a stutter. But in a controlled way, clearly. I once had a car that sounded like that.
Old 27.01.2008, 06:39 PM

damn Timo, nice post. this thing is even more powerful than I originally thought.
Old 27.01.2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jones View Post
this thing is even more powerful than I originally thought.
Certainly is. I'm sure it will be a very successful addition for Access.

There's also an effect on Korg's Radias called GrainShifter, which is similar, but not as complex. With this you can assign two knobs to control what you wish (like clock frequency [sample loop time], sync-length, or wet/dryness). Nice for aliasing and mashing up a sound. Pitch or keyboard use doesn't affect it, though. It's a 100% effect, just using the two knobs to control it. It can't do sample reversing either.
Old 15.12.2008, 04:55 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

I wish the atomizer would sample a whole bar, unfortunately it only seems to do 1/2.
Old 31.01.2010, 10:50 AM
New here
New here

Hi all,
How can I do to activate the Atomizer function ?
regards
Old 31.01.2010, 01:20 PM
Pro
Pro

There should be an Atomiser manual in your Virus folder in Start menu - it shows you how to set it up.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/