Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 16.06.2009, 05:31 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default Virus TI vs. TI2

interested in getting a virus TI desktop, and can get a TI for alot less than the TI2. are there any features that the TI2 has that the TI doesnt? also, how important is that extra 25% power? how often does the motherboard "overload" that this increase in power is worth it? anything else the TI2 can do that the regular TI cant?

im assuming the TI and TI2 have the same sound engine and sound exactly the same (right?).. im kinda new to synths so i want to get as much info as possible before i make the decision
Old 16.06.2009, 01:04 PM
New here
New here

A.f.a.I.k the sound capabilities of the ti 2 are exactly the same as the ti1, so the ti2 does not have extra functionality the ti1 lacks.
Whether this will remain so in the future I cannot tell, but given that the sound engines are the same, I assume the original TI will be catching up with all the updates for quite some time to come.

Is 25% extra worth it? Does the TI engine overload much? Well, It is fairly easy to overload the sound engine with just one patch: take two hypersaws+sub+osc 3, put unison on 8, add lot's of fx, set the amp release high and there you go... Any synth will drop out that way and the Virus is no exception, although the raw processing power is already a lot higher in the original TI than in most other synths you get at that price.

WIll you ever need that amount of power? Will you ever use it? My personal opinion is that you won't....In a typical piece of music there will be one or perhaps two sonic elements which really stand out in the mix and "drive" the track. The rest should just fit in without distracting.
I own the original TI and I never needed more horsepower, 3 cores instead of 2 or whatever. A lot depends on how you use it and whether you program the Virus in an intelligent way. Once you know some basic do' s and dont' s, the processing power of the Virus TI1 is already unlikely to dissapoint you.

M.
Old 16.06.2009, 03:36 PM
Am starting to like this forum

On my path to purchase the TI2 desktop, I had a first generation unit as a loaner for a few weeks. The processing power thing DOES make a difference, but to be fair, Access also didn't have the same updated operating systems at that time. So was it a matter of TI1 not having enough juice or was it because the OS was sketchy?

With the latest OS now on my TI2, I can make slightly more complicated patches without glitches, and layering in multi seems to work better too.
Old 16.06.2009, 05:09 PM
Very mucho Newbie

If you can have a Virus TI for the half of the price of an Virus TI2, then go for the Virus TI, and save cash for something else.

But if the difference is minimal like $ 200.- so go for the TI2.

The bigger the price difference is, the better to take the Virus TI.
Old 16.06.2009, 10:11 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

To me the choice is more about the paintsceme and the wallet. Ive played both the units and I dont feel like I noticed enough of a difference in power. I do like the updated look but Ive never had second thoughts abought buying a TI polar instead of TI2 polar after having a TI desktop for 2 years.-besides you can get a ti1 polar or keyboard for the price of a ti2 desktop.
Old 18.06.2009, 01:11 PM

When I got my TI2 Polar, it had only just been released, so prices were still rather high....

After exploring the forums, contemplating the opinions of others and my own needs, I found that the best option was to buy a TI Polar, not TI2 Polar, as the extra power would never be tapped by a hobbyist such as myself, and at a difference of £500, it was a simple matter. Fortunately for me, they had no stock of TI1, so I ended up with TI2. I was over the moon, dancing like a loon to the beat of sudden fortune! Alas, the 25% power increase remains untouched, yet the updated looks I do admire.

I would make the same choice again, given a £500 difference, though most unlikely to receive a TI2 Polar second time around.
Old 04.07.2009, 04:31 AM
Complete Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Nobl1v1on

I have been into all manner of synths, and the TI 2 has bit over the original TI. Infact, it holds a tie for first place with my Elektron Monomachine MKII. The increased powerful cannot fully be appreciated until you are using it with a software sequencer. You then start to notice how the TI 2 can just give you more of what you want, voices, and more stability. cheers
Old 04.07.2009, 08:23 AM

who knows what access is up to next? i don´t think they are making a ti2 with more power just for fun, so i guess more future features will require more power

so for me it was very clear to buy a TI2
Old 11.07.2009, 10:47 PM
New here
New here

Default What to buy

I am getting ready to purchase a virus, and like a lot of people, I am torn between which one to get. Here are the prices that I can get them for...

Snow: $1100 US

TI2 Desktop: $1800 US

TI 61: $2000 ($1400 used) US

TI Polar: $2000 US

As amazing as the polar and the 61 keyboard virusus look, I am afraid I must rule them out. So it is between the snow and ti2 desktop. I don't know if the price difference between the snow and the ti2 desktop is worth it. $700 is not an insignificant amount and I am not rich. I don't need the knobs. I have a korg radias and hardly use the knobs. I am more of a preset junkie. I'm really worried about playing a chord or two on the snow and then having the sound poop out because I ran out of polyphony, but is this really that common? What do you guys suggest I buy?

Last edited by drvenom : 13.07.2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12.07.2009, 08:07 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Hi. I used to own a Snow before my TI2 desktop.There's only a slim chance of running our of voices in the Snow due to it being a 4 part multitimbral which means you can only use 4 patches maximum simultaneously.As a matter of fact, the chances of running our of voice is more likely to happen in a Desktop because it's an 80 voice-16 part while the Snow is a 50 voice-4 part engine. The only limitation the Snow has is it has got 4 knobs only which you said is not an issue to you but it was an issue to me that being the reason why I sold mine. If you don't have any issue with it being a 4-part engine synth then the answer is clear, go the SNOW.