Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 12.07.2009, 01:01 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulidstate View Post
As a matter of fact, the chances of running our of voice is more likely to happen in a Desktop because it's an 80 voice-16 part while the Snow is a 50 voice-4 part engine.
That's not true. The fact that the TI Desktop has >80 voices at its disposal and the Snow has >50 means literally just that - the TI desktop has considerably more voices available.

For example, if you only used 4 timbres on the TI Desktop (similar to what is available on the Snow) you will have more polyphony than the Snow, meaning you can play longer unison chords, longer drones, etc. for those same four timbres, than on the Snow.

Rarely, if ever, would you use 16 timbres on a TI. Not even close to that. You just don't need that many Virus parts in a song, unless you're using multiple part layering (several timbres playing the same part) and intelligently mixing them. It'd sound too busy, and you'd most likely want flavours from other synths, not just all Virus.
Old 13.07.2009, 03:10 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
That's not true. The fact that the TI Desktop has >80 voices at its disposal and the Snow has >50 means literally just that - the TI desktop has considerably more voices available.

For example, if you only used 4 timbres on the TI Desktop (similar to what is available on the Snow) you will have more polyphony than the Snow, meaning you can play longer unison chords, longer drones, etc. for those same four timbres, than on the Snow.

Rarely, if ever, would you use 16 timbres on a TI. Not even close to that. You just don't need that many Virus parts in a song, unless you're using multiple part layering (several timbres playing the same part) and intelligently mixing them. It'd sound too busy, and you'd most likely want flavours from other synths, not just all Virus.
I don't know too much about the technical side of synths. Do you think the extra power of the ti2 desktop over the snow will make enough of a difference to warrant $700 US. Like I said, I like the look of the knobs and I even wish that I could get the ti keyboard, but I don't think I will need the knobs since I don't program synths. I mainly just use the stock sounds to make tunes. I hardly touch the knobs on my korg radias. I just wan't to make sure that I will be able to play all of the patches released in the future. I would hate for a good sound bank to come out and then realize that I can't use it with the snow because I don't have enough processing power for the sound bank. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post.
Old 13.07.2009, 04:48 AM
Am starting to like this forum

many knobs are good, remember you can use the ti2 also as a midi controller

and everything you can alter without touching the mouse is more musically

as i said also think about future updates which could need more power
Old 13.07.2009, 12:51 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvenom View Post
I just wan't to make sure that I will be able to play all of the patches released in the future. I would hate for a good sound bank to come out and then realize that I can't use it with the snow because I don't have enough processing power for the sound bank.
Hi, well firstly none of us here (except Marc) know what will happen to the Ti|1 and Ti|2 in the future, if or where they will split off from each other and possibly go their separate paths, or whether the Ti|2 was only ever meant to be a minor refresh version of the standard Ti|1 model and the two will remain forever compatible. We don't know. So we can't answer what will or will not happen in the future.

What we do know is that the Snow is currently 100% compatible with the Ti|1 and Ti|2.

Quote:
but I don't think I will need the knobs since I don't program synths. I mainly just use the stock sounds to make tunes. I hardly touch the knobs on my korg radias.
I think you will stand to get a lot more for your money if you jump in and have a go at tweaking. Better still, start from scratch with the basics, changing oscillator waveforms and getting used to the filters, and then amp/filter ASDR envelopes, etc.. It's extremely rewarding when you start to get the hang of it.

If you're looking for a synthesis 101, see here: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...8/2ansynth.htm

Quote:
I don't know too much about the technical side of synths. Do you think the extra power of the ti2 desktop over the snow will make enough of a difference to warrant $700 US.
Well, the Snow has >50 voices, and the Ti|1 has >80. The Ti|2 is supposed to have 25% more than the Ti|1, which brings it up to >100 voices.

So, both Snow and Ti|2 currently sound identical to each other. The $700 is up to you as to whether double the polyphony, knobs and extra timbre usage would be beneficial to you.

Last edited by Timo : 13.07.2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 13.07.2009, 05:48 PM
New here
New here

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I think I am going to wait until I see a ti 61 keyboard on ebay. The last two have sold for about $1400. I think that will be my best bet. Besides, I think the keyboard version looks really sexy!
Old 13.07.2009, 09:40 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I would really buy Snow if it had TI2 power. You really never need all these knobs and buttons, you never gonna use them as midi controller for external hardware or vst. Nowadays any decent midi controller has double amount of pads/knobs/sliders. You can't reassign the knobs (or at least I don't know how. Well, for example I need Noise/Ring knob tweak Ring modulation without pressing SHIFT buttons). Is TI2 more powerful than TI1 - just I don't feel it. I easily run out of power with 4 mid-complexity patches. No supersaws or heavy effects, just delays and eq sometimes. But I do need these 16 parts just to keep them on tap.
Old 14.07.2009, 05:39 PM
Very mucho Newbie

I am also running out of power, so I have to reduce the complexity of my dream sound.

The TI2 is a bit more powerful 25% but maybe it would help you in some cases and you wouldn't run out of power.

I would say test the TI2 in a shop, so you can see where the limits are....
Old 15.07.2009, 12:41 AM
Very mucho Newbie

does computer power have anything to do with it since the virus is also software controlled? or is the power strictly limited to its on board memory? would a good computer and sequencer help ease the burden and allow for more memory usage?
Old 15.07.2009, 01:23 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrr00 View Post
does computer power have anything to do with it since the virus is also software controlled? or is the power strictly limited to its on board memory? would a good computer and sequencer help ease the burden and allow for more memory usage?
No because the same amount of processing will still need to be done on the virus. A faster computer would only potentiall help the VC plugin run faster (which likely hardly uses any resources at all anyways, so there' probably be no noticeable gain), it wouldn't help increase your polyphony on the virus or anything.

The virus doesn't offload any of the processing it does on to the computer.
Old 15.07.2009, 06:12 PM
Very mucho Newbie

why how good ar TI's effects that they take up so much power? how typical is overloading the motherboard.. is it that common of a problem when making complex sounds?