Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 14.04.2010, 06:05 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Default Orchestral module/sample player

For live use, I would like to connect a module to my Virus via MIDI to get access to some convincing orchestral voices - especially strings. I have my vintage Yamaha TG33 which could scrape by with a few of its patches, but am willing to get something better to improve that sound. An additional bonus would be the ability to load and play back my own wav samples.

Can anyone suggest a rack unit/module that might do the job?
Old 15.04.2010, 02:17 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Does it necessarily have to be a hardware module? Unfortunately there's nothing affordable that can do the job. And even the expensive modules (over $1,000) with decent strings (i.e. Yamaha Motif-rack XS) are still no match for what's available in software.

You might consider EastWest's Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra, available in silver, gold and platinum edition, ranging from about $200 all the way to $800. EWQL Symphonic Choir is a good choices for voices. I think East West are still having a two-for-one sale until the end the month, so you might get both for one accessible price.
Old 16.04.2010, 07:03 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Thanks for your reply PaPi
I checked out the EastWest software, and yes, there are offers on. The string demos sound very good. I'm not really after proper orchestral scoring, though, it's really about achieving a big, live, epic orchestral backing sound for the goth metal band I'm playing with. Last night I experimented with a combination of a multitimbral Virus patch and bell/string or sustained string ensemble patches on my vintage TG33, and it didn't sound bad (the band noticed the difference, anyway), but the TG33 samples are somewhat harsh sounding and I think these sound modules must have come on since the 80s!

I just noticed the Roland Fantom XR, which it seems would enable me to play my own samples too. Strings sound OK-ish on demos available, but £600+ for a used unit .... ouch.
Old 16.04.2010, 11:10 AM
Pro
Pro

Just be aware if you go a ROMpler like Korg M3/Triton or MOTIF that programming is a massive massive pain in the ass, so presets will likely be your friend. If you are going to buy one, definitely get a rack, and hunt for a bargain. I recently sold my Korg M3 as I feel that soft synths can do everything a hardware workstation can do and do it better, faster, with more integration and hands on adaptability within a DAW.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 16.04.2010, 04:10 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Just get a MPC if you want a sampler!
Old 16.04.2010, 04:11 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Just get a MPC if you want a sampler! It also sequences and some other things!
Old 17.04.2010, 06:59 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BHG~ View Post
Just get a MPC if you want a sampler! It also sequences and some other things!
Thanks for the nudge, BHG. I had already worked out that a MPC 500 would sit quite cutely on the logozone of my TI kb. At the moment though I am not aiming to do beats or any sequencing outside of Cubase - I was just looking for the ability to play occasional samples, such as one-shot sound effects, in a live situation.

I hear that there are about to be some re-launches e.g. old Rolling Stones material on vinyl http://www.gigwise.com/news/55870/Th...cord-Store-Day. Lucky you!
Old 17.04.2010, 07:11 PM
Very mucho Newbie

@ suzzymackenzie

If you want hardware and 1U rack there will be the Roland Fantom XR and Yamaha XS.

For you the Roland Fantom XR would be one of the best choice. You can load SRX cards for additional sounds for orchestra, strings,......, too.

I have a Fantom X6 with the Orchestral SRX card which I don't want to miss.
Old 17.04.2010, 08:15 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atziluth View Post
@ suzzymackenzie

If you want hardware and 1U rack there will be the Roland Fantom XR and Yamaha XS.
Out of the box, the Yamaha has more authentic sounds. Especially the strings, which IMHO Roland never quite got right. Yes, you could use an SRX card on the XR but those ain't exactly cheap. The module + an SRX card and you're in the neighborhood of $1,700.

But, like I said before, software beats either one hands down and it costs a lot less.
Old 18.04.2010, 11:25 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Well you can have on ebay a Fantom XR between $800 and max $1000.
The SRX cards srtings you can have for $200.

So, in the best way for $1000 you can have a XR and a SR card.

The software is cheaper anyways, but he wants hardware.