Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 11.02.2009, 09:38 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
Hey now, why not just settle this over a beaker of Southern Comfort. Next thing, we'll be arguing over which one was Pink.

I was fortunate to be around as a teenager when PF were in their prime. When they first played DSOTM in my local record shop (ah, the reek of vinyl) all I know is that my little musical heart skipped several beats.

But then I 'progressed' to Steely Dan...

Hi Suzzy, DSOTM is past their best IMO but then I do like musical oddities. Echoes, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun or much of Umma Gumma for real WTF Pink Floyd. Always inventive even with a well known musical genre.

BTW I also was a teenager when DSOTM came out. Even then I thought it was good, but not eccentric enough for Pink Floyd. Of course I also liked ELP so my musical opinion may not be worth much
Old 11.02.2009, 10:57 AM
aTISHooo!
I am starting to like this forum

LivePsy: I wasn't trying to classify them myself, check out any definition of Floyd, they are prog rock. I agree classifying music is boring (to us), but it is useful especially for the fans.

I was lucky enough to see Floyd perform in the early 60's and worked with them through the 70's, So I'm no spring chicken. Why did you presume I am younger than you?
Old 11.02.2009, 12:24 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
I agree classifying music is boring (to us)
I find it's tedious to have to classify my own music or music that I know I like, but - surprise - more useful when I'm trying to figure out what new stuff to to listen to.

On the subject of taxonomy, the Music Genome Project is very interesting. It was even more interesting when the www.pandora.com preference-based internet radio station was available to UK residents, and I could contribute to the project as well as enjoying free music by giving the thumbs up/down/indifferent to stuff it would play for me.

I find my response to music is at a finer level than 'genre', and really does feel to be along the lines of the "up to 400" variables that the MGP purports to use. For example, certain moves on a pedal steel guitar, anything with close vocal harmonies, anything heavily syncopated *except* dixieland, heavy admixture of 'jazz' chords with regular chords, fugue type structures, anything with 'Tubular Bells' in the title...

My preference would once automatically have been guaranteed for anything that was labelled 'prog rock' or 'prog' anything - now I tend to admire the avant-garde-ness and the musicianship of it rather than just plumb enjoy it.
Old 11.02.2009, 12:36 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivePsy View Post
Hi Suzzy, DSOTM is past their best IMO but then I do like musical oddities. Echoes, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun or much of Umma Gumma for real WTF Pink Floyd. Always inventive even with a well known musical genre.

BTW I also was a teenager when DSOTM came out. Even then I thought it was good, but not eccentric enough for Pink Floyd. Of course I also liked ELP so my musical opinion may not be worth much
I know what you mean. The genius of DSOTM was perhaps less in its real WTF PF quality than in taking the very best qualities of conventional genres and fusing them onto a Floyd base - recruiting Gospel into Great Gig in the Sky, making sullen blue notes grow up in Money, lounge piano drafted into Us and Them... Perhaps it was one of the pioneers of 'fusion' approaches. Speaking of which, then there was Eno's Bush of Ghosts...

As for ELP, well, they did a better job than anything of getting me to listen to classical music. Promenade is one of the loveliest pieces I know still, whether played on solo piano, or belted out of a distorted organ with a pretentious lyric over the top
Old 11.02.2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivePsy View Post
Of course I also liked ELP so my musical opinion may not be worth much
Hey! ELP is one of the best! It was progressive rock that really rocked. Although the music and lyrics were a bit corny from time to time but it still doesn't nullify the fact that Tarkus and Karn Evil 9 are one of the greates prog songs ever recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymckenzie
As for ELP, well, they did a better job than anything of getting me to listen to classical music. Promenade is one of the loveliest pieces I know still, whether played on solo piano, or belted out of a distorted organ with a pretentious lyric over the top
I think I ended up in the world of ELP when I heard Hoedown on a special radio show Progeyö (Prog Night in English). Next day I went to the local library and loaned ELP compilation and that's when my descent to progresive rock started.
Old 12.02.2009, 10:43 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

ELP were wanky and great at the same time. Those Keith Emerson fast fingers were amazing, but is it art? I didn't care at the time. K9 is truly great but just hope the neighbours don't hear it

Of course one of the main appeals was using synths to make music, rather than some novelty sound or background pad.
Old 12.02.2009, 10:45 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
LivePsy: I wasn't trying to classify them myself, check out any definition of Floyd, they are prog rock. I agree classifying music is boring (to us), but it is useful especially for the fans.

I was lucky enough to see Floyd perform in the early 60's and worked with them through the 70's, So I'm no spring chicken. Why did you presume I am younger than you?
Hey Talos, I'm just enjoying a difference of opinion with you. And the age comment was in response to suzzy. No need for anyone to be offended.

B
Old 12.02.2009, 11:31 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Are you guys making fun of me again? I am always being ridiculed...

(cowering in the dark corner)

Echo o o o o o o o
Old 12.02.2009, 11:49 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Cut back on the coffee...
Old 30.03.2009, 12:27 PM
Pro
Pro

Saw Steely Dan last year, some of the best session musos I've seen in my short experience studying music. And one of the crispest mixes I've ever heard live and it was an outdoor venue as well.

The music might be smug as hell sometimes but damn, when you play your instrument that well, it gets pulled off.