Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 01.02.2006, 02:39 PM

Default Who uses the virus as an effects unit?

Ive been trying to use my Virus (B) as an effects unit for softsynths in Cubase SX3

setup output and inputs in cubase routed in and out of the virus, it works fine for reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, distortion, analogue boost

But there is one major problem with Midi

For example lets say I want to use the virus Filter on V-Station.
Ive got it all working fine apart from when I turn the virus filter cutoff knob, its also controlling V-Station via midi CC

Is there a way around this?

Does anyone else here use the virus as an effects unit, if so how have you got yours set up?
Old 01.02.2006, 03:08 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Default Re: Who uses the virus as an effects unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Explorer
For example lets say I want to use the virus Filter on V-Station. Ive got it all working fine apart from when I turn the virus filter cutoff knob, its also controlling V-Station via midi CC

Is there a way around this?
Just set the Virus to not send controllerdata. Or you could set Cubase to filter controllerdata. Both ways should do it. Of course you won?t be able to use any CC?s this way

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 01.02.2006, 03:21 PM

Yeah thats it, thanks for you help

I guess it means i'll just have to do filter sweeps manually when recording to audio. Theres always the LFO's though.

Im just experementing with this at the moment

Just out of interest... I was reading through old posts looking for the anwser and saw one where you mentioned you have a sherman filterbank 2.

Ive been thinking of buying one myself, are you happy with it? how does it compare to the virus for that sort of thing?

I read that it can be controlled via midi, i guess that would leave simlar problems when used on certain vst instruments?
Old 01.02.2006, 05:45 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
I guess it means i'll just have to do filter sweeps manually when recording to audio. Theres always the LFO's though.
You could record your filtersweeps to MIDI and play it back yo your Virus. You only have to turn CC send off. Not recive

Quote:
Just out of interest... I was reading through old posts looking for the anwser and saw one where you mentioned you have a sherman filterbank 2.

Ive been thinking of buying one myself, are you happy with it? how does it compare to the virus for that sort of thing?
Well first of all it?s a filter (or actually 2 filters) and not a synth Second it?s true analog. I?m very happy with it except that there?s no memory. All settings you would like to keep you have to write down on a paperchart I also wish that all the parameters where MIDI editable so that i could save my settings that way. Most used parameters are editable but not switches. Other than that i wish that the rackmount edition would have been availible when i bought it (nicer with jacks in the front in a rack) but i bought it used so what the heck
You can?t compare it to the Virus. It?s not like the Virus filter at all. I find it very usefull when i want to make wierd sounds or really destroy a sound. It overdrives easy on the input for nice (or not so nice ) distortion. It?s also very good for filtering drums and percusion for nasty filtered drumloops. Also there?s lots of modulation posibilities for other analog gear, modular systems, manual trigger or re-routing uotput to inputs. All this can produce very interesting results. The filterbank can sound a bit muffled if you go to low (and it goes very low) and it can sometimes create some really unpleasant high volume sounds with only small tweaks if you don?t watch out. If you like harsh, distorted sounds or you?re looking for something completly different then this is for you. And best of all is that anything goes in the input (ok not 220V wall plug). It?s great for guitars too I love it and my wife hates it. Hope that says it all
Check http://www.sherman.be for more info and demos.

Quote:
I read that it can be controlled via midi, i guess that would leave simlar problems when used on certain vst instruments?
Just make sure that your VST doesn?t recive MIDI on the same same channel that you send on (The Filterbank always send and recive on ch. 16). That goes for you Virus too by the way. Another thing: The filterbank doesn?t send MIDI out except envelope trigger signals

Old 01.02.2006, 06:22 PM

That sounds perfect for me
I love making things sound gritty and fucked up Analogue sounds so much better than digital software plugins when it comes to overdrive\distortion
Adding warmth to my softsynths would be great also.

I knew it wasnt a synth and a few basic things about it (such as the filters and distortion)
But the other areas I wasnt sure on, that mini review anwsered everything else
I think im going to invest in one of those for sure!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and help with my Virus setup
Old 01.02.2006, 06:36 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and help with my Virus setup
No problem