Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 01.02.2006, 09:59 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to aisling
Default What are the advantages of the Keyboard over the deasktop ??

What are the advantages of the Keyboard over the deasktop??
If I have a decent midi controller, can I go with the table top and still enjoy latency free performance?
The $600.00 difference is a turn off unless I am paying for somethin other than convienience/compact......

Any thoughts? opinions? from you vetern access peeps.

Thank you for your input.

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004
Old 01.02.2006, 10:15 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

The Ti-Keyboard has one of the best key action in the business. non the less, if you already got a good (After touch capble) keyboard, I guess it wouldn`t matter that much (and probably take up more space). one of the coolest things for me personally is the empty surface on the right side of The Ti-K. a perfect fit for my Logitech keyboard....

Best,
midi.
Old 01.02.2006, 10:45 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Second that - TI keyboard is a very nice feeling semi weighted synth keyboard.
Old 01.02.2006, 11:41 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

The Ti-Keyboard has one of the best key action in the business. non the l
Best,
midi.

Khazul.......
Second that - TI keyboard is a very nice feeling semi weighted synth keyboard

Thanks guys, Well then what are application diffrences between the two keyboards models?

Living Green, this is how we do it.....
http://www.creativeartflow.com/Joyre...rt/gallery.htm
Old 02.02.2006, 12:08 AM

The TI desktop and the TI keyboard synth engines are functionally identical if both are driven from an external keyboard.

The only differences I am aware of is the config options related to keyboard control.

Local control mode on the keyboard is probably the only way you can play the synth without routing midi though the computer if that matters to you.

Whether it does will depend alot on how you use your rig...
Old 02.02.2006, 01:10 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
The TI desktop and the TI keyboard synth engines are functionally identical if both are driven from an external keyboard.

The only differences I am aware of is the config options related to keyboard control.

Local control mode on the keyboard is probably the only way you can play the synth without routing midi though the computer if that matters to you.

Whether it does will depend alot on how you use your rig...
I see from your gear list that the access is the "front end". Are you running the rest of your midi via usb on the access, or via another midi converter?

Old 02.02.2006, 07:35 AM

I have 3 keyboards - V-Synth, Virus TI (on the keybiard stand) and a Novation Remote 25 (on my desk) and 2 additional hardware synth modules (Motif ES Rack and Novation KS-Rack).

All of those are connected to an Edirol UM-880 MIDI patch bay/USB interface, so with pressing a couple of button on the panel of the UM-880 I have complete control of what midi controller is routed to what synth, as well as control of routing to/from the computer.

The TI Is ususual in this setup as it is connected both via MIDI to the patch bay (for controlling the oher synths, or being controlled by say the V-Synth, or Remote 25) and via USB to the computer. THe USB to the computer is required for Virus Control to work.

The problem here is that the TI can can function as a *direct* hardware midi controller when Virus Control is not running. Once virus control is started, then the hardware midi ports on the TI are disabled, and so the only way to control the other synths is to route midi from the TI via its USB through the computer, at which time I find it alot easier to just use the V-Synth as a master for the other synths than fiddling with midi routing in Cubase. (Messing with menus - vs pushing a button on the UM-880).

I should add that I bring this on myself as I DONT like the local control off approach that access and some others advocate for using a DAW.

If you work the way that is advocated, then you will be fine, so far most people, the TI makes for a great master keyboard.
Old 02.02.2006, 03:22 PM
Am starting to like this forum

I agree with all the replies.

One thing for me is that its really handy to have the keyboard attached because it encourages me to program the crap out of it, and i do. i had a virus b for a looooooooooooong time that i didnt program enough because it was slightly out of reach.

plus, the knobs send midi cc's so they can control not only hardware but software too. once the control option happens in 1.1 it should be even nicer. i replaced my emu xboard 49 with the polar. im not sorry.
Old 02.02.2006, 04:42 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
I have 3 keyboards - V-Synth, Virus TI (on the keybiard stand) and a Novation Remote 25 (on my desk) and 2 additional hardware synth modules (Motif ES Rack and Novation KS-Rack).

I should add that I bring this on myself as I DONT like the local control off approach that access and some others advocate for using a DAW.

If you work the way that is advocated, then you will be fine, so far most people, the TI makes for a great master keyboard.
...........Thank you, you just helped me spend $600.00 more.
Any latency issues when the virus is controlling other synths?

Old 02.02.2006, 04:46 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsubs
I agree with all the replies.

One thing for me is that its really handy to have the keyboard attached because it encourages me to program the crap out of it, and i do. i had a virus b for a looooooooooooong time that i didnt program enough because it was slightly out of reach.

plus, the knobs send midi cc's so they can control not only hardware but software too. once the control option happens in 1.1 it should be even nicer. i replaced my emu xboard 49 with the polar. im not sorry.
Thanks for your input as well. With this intell/mac thing (my computer is 4 years old) causing me to spend some cash on upgrades, I'm having to count every skimpy cent........SO if money can be saved, I'm on it.
But it sounds like having the keys give a pratical edge.