Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 22.07.2006, 06:01 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default DNB Bass

ok guys, im looking to make some hot bass a la gein, calyx, limwax, evol intent etc..

u know, that trademark dnb bass sound, high passed and the like. anybody have any trade secrets as to how this is acquired?
Old 22.07.2006, 10:14 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

your talking about the "reese" bassline ?

just take two sawtooths, detune one slightly, then apply distortion and some filtering and you have your basic tone. If you then want to get that shit morphing properly give it some lfo modulating cutoff and also maybe get another lfo modulating the filters envelope amount or adsr controls.

alternatley, create the basic "reese" tone and then sample this and load it into a sampler such as kontakt and layer multiple copies and apply different filters to each copy and then go crazy with envelopes and lfos...
Old 22.07.2006, 10:46 PM
Pro
Pro

Each one of the artists you mentioned above is using different techniques and different equipement to get their basslines.
My advice would be to go here: http://www.dogsonacid.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4 click on the search button innit,
and enter your favorite dnb artist's name or tune's name + one of the following words: bass/reese/reece/reesce/ree5e/r3353/etc...
You will get a plenty of interesting results innit, but don't you dare to open a new thread with "how to make a reese?" title, i warned you.

Hope that helps.
Old 09.08.2006, 11:33 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

I always thought the reese bassline was basically made with the filter envolope slow attack.

So the filter opens slowly creating that MMMMWAH MMMWAH MMMMWAH sound
Old 10.08.2006, 01:32 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday Dream
I always thought the reese bassline was basically made with the filter envolope slow attack.

So the filter opens slowly creating that MMMMWAH MMMWAH MMMMWAH sound

yes however what i wanted was something a bit more aggressive.

if you've ever heard illusion by calyx you'll know what im talkin bout
Old 10.08.2006, 08:37 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

I havent heard it sorry

but i will try to find a clip
Old 10.08.2006, 09:05 AM
New here
New here

To make Calyx style sounds you can't do it all inside the virus. A lot of post processing is happening there, even though the original sounds might come from a virus. I know that he uses a pod distortion unit - the XT version looks cool if you can afford it. he also loads the recorded audio into his emu ultra and uses its filters to mangle the sound.

A good reese can be made in the virus - you need to detune several sawtooth waves, apply a low pass filter and add some chorus / phasing / distortion to suit. The unison setting can help too. A good method might be to make several patches, then get into multimode and run them all from the same midi channel - I don't like multimode though so i don't usually get that far.

Old 17.08.2006, 06:58 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparktacus13
To make Calyx style sounds you can't do it all inside the virus. A lot of post processing is happening there, even though the original sounds might come from a virus. I know that he uses a pod distortion unit - the XT version looks cool if you can afford it. he also loads the recorded audio into his emu ultra and uses its filters to mangle the sound.

A good reese can be made in the virus - you need to detune several sawtooth waves, apply a low pass filter and add some chorus / phasing / distortion to suit. The unison setting can help too. A good method might be to make several patches, then get into multimode and run them all from the same midi channel - I don't like multimode though so i don't usually get that far.

Word.
It's all about the processing and layering.
Old 23.08.2006, 12:38 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

yep layers are the key

i tend to keep the bottom (sub) layer fairly clean and use a triangle wave

Then middle and top layers are distorted and filtered, normally saw waves.

But im no expert on drum and bass. theres a website called dogs on acid which has a great production forum where you can find out about d&b production
Old 24.08.2006, 05:57 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default Re: DNB Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by djencode
ok guys, im looking to make some hot bass a la gein, calyx, limwax, evol intent etc..

u know, that trademark dnb bass sound, high passed and the like. anybody have any trade secrets as to how this is acquired?
Nice to see ya looking to make the sick sounds of the names above.I've just scored a rack XL so I'll let ya know when I get these sounds down and share anything I find out.EZ