Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.04.2013, 05:40 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default is there any way to use the Virus c lfo on external audio?

i've tried everything i can think of.

using Dynamic mode as i think i should.

is it even possible to effect external audio with the Virus LFO, and if so how?
Old 19.04.2013, 01:40 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

>> is it even possible to effect external audio with the Virus LFO, and if so how?

Sure is.

Input mode "Static" keeps the gate wide open for incoming audio. You don't need to press any keys on the Virus. Just use the filters, modulation matrix (inc. LFOs) and effects to process the audio-in. The EGs in the Virus are bypassed, given that the 'gate' is constantly wide open.

"Dynamic" requires an input on the Virus (pressing a key) to open the 'gate' to allow the audio in. In this mode you can use the Virus' amplifier ADSR EG effectively as a gate envelope to modulate the volume of the audio-in, per key press, so use it wisely (take care over Amp EG settings as the default Amp Decay and Sustain levels for a -START- patch is 127 and 0 respectively and therefore will fade out over time while a key remains pressed. Furthermore, set Amp Release accordingly so you can hear a 'fade out' when you release a key). However Dynamic mode also opens up the additional benefit of being able to apply Filter EG modulation, so you can process filter envelopes etc. per key press, just like the Amp EG. Basically Dynamic mode allows you to 'play' the incoming audio as if it were an oscillator, triggered via the Virus' keys. You can still apply all the usual mod matrix and LFO modulations etc.

Bear in mind that, in both modes, a stereo audio input requires Unison = 2.
Old 22.04.2013, 04:33 AM
Pro
Pro

Timo wrote:
"Bear in mind that, in both modes, a stereo audio input requires Unison = 2."

If I use L/R stereo output of DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard(MEK) into L/R Ext. Input on Virus, since you stated input requires Unison, does that mean I will lose programmed panning from MEK with Unison even though output from Virus KC will still utilize L/R? Or am I misinterpreting Unison as "mono"? Thanks!
Old 23.04.2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I think when using the audio inputs, the unison means: "the number of channels" used.

Don't know if the Virus preserves the stereo image of the incoming signal and really can't test it right now. But I'm inclined to say that it does. One thing's for sure: you can modulate the panning on the Virus for further crazy stereo movements.

On another note: have you tried using square shape LFO assigned to volume, and the LFO rate assigned to mod wheel (you can also assign the amount so that it doesn't cut the sound then mod is down). Like to combine that with another square LFO assigned to panning, half the speed of the first, the amount decreasing when you turn mod wheel up. One step further would be to assign delay into this mix
Old 23.04.2013, 12:15 PM
Pro
Pro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
I think when using the audio inputs, the unison means: "the number of channels" used.

Don't know if the Virus preserves the stereo image of the incoming signal and really can't test it right now. But I'm inclined to say that it does. One thing's for sure: you can modulate the panning on the Virus for further crazy stereo movements.

On another note: have you tried using square shape LFO assigned to volume, and the LFO rate assigned to mod wheel (you can also assign the amount so that it doesn't cut the sound then mod is down). Like to combine that with another square LFO assigned to panning, half the speed of the first, the amount decreasing when you turn mod wheel up. One step further would be to assign delay into this mix
Well yes, the MEK allows for 4 instances of delay almost anywhere in signal chain on left and right, since the Evolver's signal path is literally so stereo that left/right are reflections of each other with exception of where you decide to place 3 instances of tuned/unturned feedback and also those delays in the mix...it's why even the desktop evolver could be used soley as an audio processor before even bringing the 16x4 modulation sequencer into consideration.
If it were possible, I would buy everyone that's active on this forum an MEK or at least a desktop evolver...the Korg MS20 coupled with evolver should be insane!!!! Yes, the 'mad scientist' in me cannot wait to see and hear what comes of this! IT's ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24.04.2013, 06:49 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

cool, thanks fellas!