Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 13.12.2005, 08:17 AM
This forum member lives here

Hehe amusing responses guys....

But my idea for this thread....was to get an idea of what people use for outboard. Compressors, limiters, exciters, channel strips etc etc. Can someone add to that?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 13.12.2005, 06:56 PM
Amateur
Amateur

God damn - No ones shaving my monkey ass!

How long is a piece of string!!!

Be a bit more specific mate. What is your estimated total budget and also what music are you aiming to produce?

If it is solely electronic based music then we can perhaps bypass a whole load of gear and concentrate on getting decent A/D D/A conversion into your DAW. This is something I can give advice on.

On the other hand if you are going down the more tradtional band, guitar and vocal route then I am certain someone will be able to assist you in this area.

Let me know either way - just off to swing around a few lamp posts.
Old 13.12.2005, 10:19 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Send a message via ICQ to Analog Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Hehe amusing responses guys....

But my idea for this thread....was to get an idea of what people use for outboard. Compressors, limiters, exciters, channel strips etc etc. Can someone add to that?
compressor and limiter - some nice effects and a mastering eq

Analog Warriors
Old 13.12.2005, 11:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

The only post production type outboard I use is a couple of Behringer units that I use only for quick and dirty mastering type processing when monitoring record and prior to doing post production work. Its really just to get an idea what the 'produced' version will sound like.

Those units are:

DEQ2496 - its a graphic eq, dynamic eq, parametric eq, compressor/expander+limiter and stereo imager

DSP1424P - An enhancer/maximiser

Between the two of them I can very quickly get a rough idea what the produced version will sound like. The DEQ2496 is however an essential bit of kit for post production as well, but only as a metring uinit as it has a very good RTA (spectrum analyser) and various meter modes.

I dont use either in the audio path for post production currently (I used to), but maybe I will start using them again as I get better results with them than the junk that comes with Cubase SX 3 - I might have a look at the Waves plugin in the future.
Old 14.12.2005, 09:17 AM

The thing is DS, "Decent" sounding tracks can be made on even the most basic setups.

Mike Skinner (The Streets) had a very basic setup for the first album, and I reckon it is great. Very raw.

I have some albums done on a 4 track casette that are great. Real lo-fi, but gorgeous sounding.

It is a very general question. But really, the more you spend, the better the quality. If you use a Neumann mic over a behringer one you will hear the difference. If you buy a Distressor over a focusrite you will hear the difference. Good quality audio design is expensive.

Also, it very much depends on whos driving. Know what I mean???

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 14.12.2005, 10:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Also, it very much depends on whos driving. Know what I mean???
Absolutely - knowing the gear you are using I think is way more important than what gear you have so long as it is upto the kind of processing you want ot apply. That goes hand in hand of course with having someone experience enough to cope with the material they are given and recognise and solve potential problems in it - that just takes time - for that reason I will spend time on post production for trash that im never going to release - just useful training
Old 14.12.2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator

A liberal application of distortion/overdrive processing is nice. Even on stuff like piano (as is compression). And valves/tubes (inc. emulation) are always useful, especially on mid-range stuff like pads and various types of drums, etc..

Also guitar style 'stomp box' type effects (inc. emulation) are your (well, at least my) friend(s).
Old 17.12.2005, 06:40 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs
A lava lamp, and one of those new ergonomic 'office chairs'.
You forgot the Bonsai tree
Old 18.12.2005, 03:07 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

a chair DS! you need the most god damn comfortable chair ever made because you simply cannot produce for hours on end with a sore arse and a shooting pain up your hunched back!