Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 16.03.2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Transmitting Virus arppegiator over MIDI

Hi, I'm wanting to transmit the Virus's arpeggiator patterns to a second sound module over midi.

Thing is, it transmits the arp messages, but also sends a single sustained note-on held for the duration too, so the resultant sound output from the sound module sounds really cluttered.

Changing patches on the second sound module while holding down the arppegiated Virus notes returns the arp pattern back to normal.... Until I change key on the Virus arp.

Anyone know what's happening, and how to cure it please?

(I'm using the Indigo's keyboard to play/trigger the Virus's arpeggiator, and have linked it to the second sound module via Midi.)

Thanks
Old 16.03.2006, 01:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Switch off 'soft thru' in config?
Old 16.03.2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks. No change, though. =/

It's like the Virus is not de-activating the non-arpeggiated notes when playing the arpeggiator, so you have two layers of notes being sent at the same time: 1) the whole chord you're pressing, and 2) the arpeggiated notes of the chord running over the top.

The only workaround is by activating arpegiator "Hold" and releasing the keys on the Indigo as soon as I've played them, but it isn't fluid when changing chords as you get a double note-on as the two layers clash.
Old 16.03.2006, 02:58 PM

Bug then I think, mail to Access Support?
Old 16.03.2006, 07:34 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Is it possible that you are transmitting both the keyboards MIDI out and the appegiated notes? Is there a "keyboard transmits MIDI" on/off setting? If yes, turn it off. You could also make a track in your sequenser with the "long notes" (the keys you press to make it appegiate) and play it back to the Virus while recording the Virus on another track. Another thing is that you must make sure that your sequenser doesn?t play back the appegiated notes to your virus or it will appegiate the appegiated notes causing a loop (which will sound wierd, i?ve tried it myself). Turn off MIDI out on the channel you are recording on...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 17.03.2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks, guys. Tried everything, even had the Virus and Trinity linked via just one midi cable, Virus > Trinity, so there was no loop.

Anyhow, here was the (very speedy!) response from Access, which explains things more:-

"Thank you for your mail. In this case I'd recommend to use the multimode and to use one PART to trigger the internal notes of the Indigo 1 and a 2nd PART with the particular Arpeggiator patch, that then transmits the Midi notes of the arpeggiator.

"The Virus allows you to set whether a PART transmits Midi or if a PART doesn't. In Single Mode the Virus definitely will send out both the Arp and the notes triggering the ARP, if it also works as a masterkeyboard.
"

Cheers,

Timo
Old 17.03.2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
From Access: In Single Mode the Virus definitely will send out both the Arp and the notes triggering the ARP, if it also works as a masterkeyboard.
Hmmm - I would classify that as a bug/broken behaviour, whether by design or not

Normally when I swithc a synth to send arp - it will normally stop sending the notes played/received and just send the arp notes.

Sending both is definately not useful
Old 17.03.2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Hmmm - I would classify that as a bug/broken behaviour, whether by design or not

Normally when I swithc a synth to send arp - it will normally stop sending the notes played/received and just send the arp notes.

Sending both is definately not useful
I agree with that. My MC505 transmits just the arp patterns too, when activated. It's really useful.

Is this buggy midi arp transmission issue the same for the C and TI series, too?
Old 17.03.2006, 07:02 PM

Just spent a few minutes re-checking every midi noise generating contraption I have that has some arp type function in it - not one of them (other than the TI) exhibits this behaviour.

Time to report it as a bug

BTW - who was the reply from - tk?
Old 17.03.2006, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Just spent a few minutes re-checking every midi noise generating contraption I have that has some arp type function in it - not one of them (other than the TI) exhibits this behaviour.

Time to report it as a bug

BTW - who was the reply from - tk?
JH, without wishing to implicate anyone directly. To be honest I don't really know how multi-mode works, lol. With it being an Indigo v1 I sometimes use all the voices so never really used it outside of single mode, to discourage possible note-stealing and stuff. ...All those new acronyms and new navigation to learn, too.

Is the 'bug' apparent in your TI, too?