Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 01.08.2006, 07:12 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus kb OS update, BIG problems...

I just tried to update my Virus kb's OS from version 4.5.2 to 4.9. The file transfered over fine and the OS installed. BUT, when I turn the Virus kb on, it says "Virus Indigo" and the keyboard doesn't respond properly. So okay, load the old OS back up, right? No. I re-installed the old OS and it says "Virus kb" upon startup, but the keyboard is still fucked up! This really sucks. The synth was working perfectly before.

I contacted Access and they said it's a problem they know about and have had with Virus kb's in the past. (well why didn't they warn me on the website or OS update instructions?) They were kind of vague about it and said it's a hardware problem in in the keyboard controller. They told me to contact their service guys in Los Angeles. I talked to their service guys, but they were even less helpfull. They didn't know what I was talking about and gave me the old, "bring it in and we'll take a look" with no guarantee on price.

I just asked Access for more specific information on the problem. We'll see if they help me out more. I can do most repairs myself, I am pretty competent in electronics. The only thing I think I couldn't do is stuff that requires special equipment like buring new ROM chips.

This really sucks. I'm left with a broken master keyboard. Anybody else have a Virus kb? Anybody else experienced these problems? Anybody feel sorry for me?
Old 02.08.2006, 02:16 AM

I bought a used Indigo, which uses the same engine as the Virus B.

I had problems with 4.9. The keyboard on the unit would constantly stop working, and could only be fixed by turning the instrument on and off. It also would boot up and believe it was a Virus module and not an Indigo.

Access support said that this was a known problem with the keyboard controller, and sent me a crystal that needed to be replaced. I took it to a shop here in Chicago, but the new crystal did not fix the problem. Access has said that I need an entire new keyboard, which the US distributor doesn't currently have in stock.

Anyhows, I reverted back to 4.5.1, and my Indigo works fine. You may want to try that OS, or try re-loading 4.5.2 again. Be sure to reset after loading the OS.

Good luck.
Old 02.08.2006, 03:20 AM
New here
New here

I re-installed OS 4.5.2 and the keyboard problem remained. So I installed the oldest OS I could find, OS 4.07. IT WORKS!!! The keyboard works perfectly again! Thank god I didn't have to get charged by a tech to do that.

This old OS doesn't have the extra banks of patch memory. I'll try to load OS 4.5.x from here and see if it works.

Thanks for the encouragement, mw7.