Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 26.03.2009, 08:44 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Default want to access the VC

Hello everybody,

I have a snow and I want to start/explore the VC (VirusControl) Application. The software has been installed on my pc.

As far as I understand the VC is only a (vst) plugin for DAW/sequencer software, not a standalone application. Currently I am working with a midi sequencer which does not support vst plugins.

Therefore my question:
Does anyone of you know of a DAW/sequencer software of which a demo version can be download/installed (maybe with such limits like only one track is possible etc.) so that I can open me the VC plugin and play with it. This software should of course support vst plugins and known to work with the virus vst plugin.

This is because at the moment I will not decide to buy a certain DAW/sequencer. But I want to get familiar with the VC gui, menues and functions, and I want to discover patches which are taken from external free patch libraries.

If there is an other possibility to access the VC it is of course also welcome.

Thanks.
Old 26.03.2009, 08:51 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLie6 View Post
Hello everybody,

I have a snow and I want to start/explore the VC (VirusControl) Application. The software has been installed on my pc.

As far as I understand the VC is only a (vst) plugin for DAW/sequencer software, not a standalone application. Currently I am working with a midi sequencer which does not support vst plugins.

Therefore my question:
Does anyone of you know of a DAW/sequencer software of which a demo version can be download/installed (maybe with such limits like only one track is possible etc.) so that I can open me the VC plugin and play with it. This software should of course support vst plugins and known to work with the virus vst plugin.

This is because at the moment I will not decide to buy a certain DAW/sequencer. But I want to get familiar with the VC gui, menues and functions, and I want to discover patches which are taken from external free patch libraries.

If there is an other possibility to access the VC it is of course also welcome.

Thanks.

Ableton Live offers demo versions (saving is not supported).

r
Old 26.03.2009, 12:29 PM
Am starting to like this forum

A freeware host like VSTHost should do, it at least works fine for me.

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
Old 27.03.2009, 09:40 AM
aTISHooo!
I am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
A freeware host like VSTHost should do, it at least works fine for me.

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
Actually that doesn't work so well since 3.0, I have emailed Herman as should you if you get problems. He's a nice bloke.
Some knobs don't respond and MIDI doesn't work anymore.
Better for someone new to TI VC to use a more developed software such as Cubase or Live.
Old 27.03.2009, 10:16 AM

Yep, I use the wonderful Cantabile Lite host for just toying around but v3 doesn't work with it either. Ableton Live or maybe REAPER would probably be the best choice, although I have not tried VC with REAPER.
Old 27.03.2009, 10:44 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Thank you guys,

yesterday I installed both

- an Ableton Live demo (I think version something 7.x.x), and
- VSTHost software

on my Vista PC and played arround (but only 1 hour).
VSTHost is not normally not supported for Vista, but I tried.
Additionally I have to say that I have not installed the new 3.x virus software, but the known as stable 2.7.5 version. I have not got any information if the virus software is Vista compatible at all (using it with a plain midi sequencer at least works well). But using a the vst plugin I don't know.

It is interresting that I have the same problem with both Ableton and VSThost.
I can load the virus snow plugin by telling them the vst search directory or directly the virus vst windows .dll file.
I can drag&drop the plugin into a (sequencer track). But when I try to open the details/setttings (or what ever it is called) of the virus snow plugin I got a big window with empty contents (contents is the background of abelton or vsthost that was behind that window).

Because I have spent only one hour I will try to test that more further. But maybe the virus vst plugin is really not support for Vista, or I have to use version 3.x which may (because developed later) also support Vista.

Thanks
Old 27.03.2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
Actually that doesn't work so well since 3.0, I have emailed Herman as should you if you get problems. He's a nice bloke.
Some knobs don't respond and MIDI doesn't work anymore.
Better for someone new to TI VC to use a more developed software such as Cubase or Live.
Ah, ok... haven't updated yet, after all those complaints I decided to wait for a more stable version.

@NoLie6

I'm using Vista as well...
Old 28.03.2009, 07:15 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Meanwhile I got it to work

The reason was that I previously installed a wrong virus software on my pc by mistake. I had 2.7.3 on my pc and 2.7.5 on my snow, which seems not to be compatible.

After I installed the 2.7.5 sw package on my pc the virus control panel opens without problem in ableton live as well as in VSThost.

In ableton live I noticed that I can open the virus control only if I have not loaded e.g. the tutorial song. If a song is loaded and I want to open the VC I get the message: "No free VirusTI Snow available: You are already running instances of VC allocating all connected VirusTI Snow devices. You can only open Virus Control once for every device".
I just want to open it e.g. for changing patches or modify patches. Maybe I try to open VC at the wrong place (the PlugIn-Device list). But I didn't find another button to open. Trying those things it often appears that the sound will disappear all of a sudden. You see that the song is played, but you don't hear anything. Only a restart of ableton helps.

In VSThost I am able to play with external midi keyboard while selecting/changing presets from virus rom/ram banks as well as from various patch libraries arround the world. Thats great. Although there is a big latency from pressing the key until hearing the sound. But I assume there are some tuning possiblities in my configuration.

Anyway, great to reach that point.